I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

21 September 2011

Resting Together

I love to watch them resting beside me:
my man and my little tortoiseshell cat.
She is very polite, waits until we embrace
and then settle into our sleeping positions
before she paces delicately up the bed
and lies down between us, purring.
Sometimes our hands collide
as we both reach out to stroke
her curving back, or scratch behind her ears
before we all fall into comfortable sleep.

Her brother, the black one, he’s the morning cat
coming boldly up the bed as soon as we wake.
She moves away and lets him take her place
for his turn at the petting and cooing. Then
they both start agitating for immediate breakfast
and one of us must rise to oblige, and the day begins.
Afternoons, they share the bed, now free of people,
sleeping curled together or echoing each other’s shapes.
Sometimes my lover joins them there for a nap.
I love to watch them peacefully resting together.


30 Poems in 30 days: 19, sleep + 26, an animal



Submitted for Poetry Pantry #69 at Poets United

3 comments:

  1. I love cats, so a poem with cats is winner for me. This is very lovely, I like how the cats play a sort of symbolic representation. Cats are known to be solitary creatures, their closeness is a matter of choice and their affection, when they chose to give it, is sincere. There's great comfort and homeliness in seeing cats peacefully sleeping, and especially so when there's two or when they are sleeping beside a human. Really nice. Love this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pets are cute, especially when they are asleep.

    fun imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ravenblack, always nice to meet a fellow cat-lover. :)

    The Orange Tree — yes, like children, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.