I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

2 September 2011

'Ah, Moon of My Delight'

rising whether I see you or not
and riding the sky until dawn

how many nights I found you 
gazing in at my window

your white face hovering
above my childhood bed

when I first loved you, and
instinctively drew you down

or later over my desk
companioning the poems

and now, at dark and full,
the one I salute with a kiss

the one I sing to, dance for,
to whom I tell my stories

and still you bring your beauty
softly into my garden

lighting the secret way
between the clouds and stars

Journalling my relationship with the moon: 5
30 poems in 30 days: 1, a love poem not about romantic love.

Linked to Poets United's Poetry Pantry #334

Included in the book, THREE CYCLES OF THE MOON

27 comments:

  1. "your white face hovering
    above my childhood bed


    when I first loved you, and
    instinctively drew you down"

    just wonderful.
    I feel milky white, like the moon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful title, wonderful ode! I am thinking not only of the moonglow, but also other loves who started at the cradle or before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. companioning the poems... such a beautiful thought. Lovely ode to the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love is all , to all around us . Beautiful poem

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful, Rosemary. The connection we feel with the moon is hard to explain but you have shown us what it is.
    All the best for 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to find the element which lights your soul - it takes an open eye and spirit to do so i believe.. happy new year to you Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Rosemary

    Such a lovely tribute to the moon. The moon is our daily companion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. there is a connection to the moon which is pretty hard to explain. perhaps it is the only natural bright source of light at night. your lovely poem only reinforce this connection more.

    and Happy New Year, Rosemary!
    i know you celebrate it earlier in Australia than most of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've personalized the lovely moon so well, giving it an emotional context. Very artful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can feel the link. She watching... you watching back... the two shining together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it, that pearl in the sky. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful. I love and admire the line about the moon championing your poems. Wonderful image.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely stunning a write, Rosemary❤️ I too adore the moon and can relate to your love towards it! Wishing you a most joyous new year 2017!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marvelous poem Rosemary! Love, "lighting the secret way
    between the clouds and stars"
    Oh how I'd love to see that! I wish you a year of wonderful poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Same old ... same old ... moon. The one constant in our lives ... and in the lives of all humankind, throughout time. A lovely expression of that constancy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. lighting the secret way
    between the clouds and stars

    Appreciating a loved one who could bring in all of the goodness of one enamored!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too love the moon. Can't help but think, "I wish I had written this."

    Have a wonderful New Year Rosemary. I know the moon will be watching.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Forever "Moon Over Heart." And he goes with you, lighting the way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea writing moon poems. Last night the sky was black over the Liverpool Plains with a bright crescent moon and a single shining star.Yes...an Islamic flag. I wonder if that is portentous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely poem, Rosemary. :-)

    I was sitting writing last night and the Moon and Venus were rising at just the perfect time in the skylight above my head; magical.

    ReplyDelete
  21. One's relationship with the moon can be simple or complicated. It all depends...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.