I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

12 September 2011

Full Moon

I walk out into a vista of peace.
She floats on a sea of cloud,
surprising me with her hushed beauty.

A milk-blue heaven spreads
from under my balcony roof
wide, and across to the mountains.

In my back yard courtyard 
I find her again, high
in the centre of the sky.

Wisps of veiling drift over her face
as I blow her a kiss
and call the quarters.

Tonight I greet her alone.
He is in bed. He tires early now
and forgets our old, shared rituals.

When I said goodnight, I reminded him,
‘This is a night of power.
What shall I request for you?’

‘Health and strength?’ I prompted,
‘Love and happiness?’
‘All that,’ he said, and we laughed.

Then I grew serious. 
‘Really, what do you want?’
‘Deep sleep,’ he replied, fervent.

And so I ask on his behalf
and for myself
I request courage.

Journalling my relationship with the moon: 16

Included in the book, THREE CYCLES OF THE MOON

5 comments:

  1. This is so lovely, Rosemary - poignant, and very touching. Yes, for yourself, courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing at how much people can share, doing similar things, so far away. I love the pictures you paint, pared with the emotion. I often find my poetry to be silly, or foolish, then too serious. Balance, even in the extremes, is what I like with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I love that you love my stuff.

    I started making poems when I was 7 and I'm 71 now, so I've had a long time to practise the craft and find that balance you see in my work. I think silly poems, and foolish poems, and serious poems are all good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this may sound funny, but: you're 71??? ^_^ You don't look it, honey!! (and yes, that's the Southern gal in me, lol) I am particularly fond of Ogden Nash's silliness, myself. I'll get there one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I have always been taken for younger than my years. When I was 22 and people thought I was 15, it was a problem, but the older I get the better it is, lol.

    I am crazy about Ogden Nash! (And go around quoting him.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.