I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

7 February 2016

Komorebi

I used to go out the wooden back gate
up the slight rise of the dirt path through the bush
and savour the fall of the sun, soft gold or blinding silver,  
down through the leaves of the eucalypts, in long shafts.
That was when I still thought the home I lived in was mine.

















It's Flash 55 PLUS! right now at 'imaginary garden with real toads'. This time the PLUS is to use one of twenty-two words in other languages for which there is no English equivalent. 'Komorebi' is Japanese and means 'sunlight that filters through the leaves of trees'.

Also linking to Poetry Pantry #288 at Poets United

The photo is mine and should not be reproduced without permission. © Rosemary Nissen-Wade 2016

35 comments:

  1. Profound writing here, Rosemary! Eventually we realize that we are just visitors, inhabitors, but not owners! A well-chosen 55.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. that packed quite a punch. Beautiful. And I love the word Komorebi and you've used it beautifully here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!!!

    have a good Sunday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sharp last line smoothly cuts in resulting in a soft nostalgic sadness...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh maybe it's mundane to you, Rosemary, but "eucalypts" really strikes me in this piece. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They abound here, but we Aussies regard them as very special.

      Delete
  6. What a chillingly brilliant conclusion to this story...it will be rattling in my head for some time...in a good way of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the closing lines. I can feel the loss, and you know how much I resonate, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great piece. I mainly love how it tells such an interesting story that really isn't told at all. You have to read through the lines, and think about the back-story. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this.. as said before the closing line. We are just guests I think..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rosemary this is beautiful! Love the images of Komorebi you have conjured up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it feels like there's a whole novel hiding behind this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. so much said in 55 words Rosemary. That closing line is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful. thank you for your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a child you don't question the ownership of the family home because it and the immediate surroundings was your world to live, explore and live in. Even now I think of my first home as me where the trees, the unmade road and field at the bottom of the garden and the pond with tadpoles in it was my whole world. Outstanding Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are guests on this beautiful planet...here for a while to enjoy the boundless beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the poetic flow, the images, one phrase, my fave, - 'savour the fall of the sun'~ what we find next time - who knows....

    ReplyDelete
  17. "savour the fall of the sun"----I'm with Humbird...that's my favorite phrase, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is wonderful --- so beautiful, and yet, so tragic at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Constant reminder of one's own good feelings of home which is good! Wonderful take Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful, Rosemary. The light that filters through eucalyptus trees has a special quality indeed. Your last line really taps in to the emotional state; it gave me chills.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rosemary,

    Glimpses of the surreal and reality merging. A fine image..
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  22. I could see those golden, silvery shafts of light. And the ending sad (as I read it)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, great unexpected turn at the end there. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh dear--moving--easy to relate to--really well done, Rosemary--just terrific. k.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm familiar with the walk. Well written.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  26. There is wisdom and serenity in this. Beautiful words: thank you for introducing me to Komorebi.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Last line brings back the reality. Awesome 55er.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the use of Komorebi. Beautiful poem with cool twist!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this one. Beautiful descriptors, with feeling, and an intriguing twist as the finale.

    ReplyDelete
  30. From soothing to sad... certainly a longing here with the addition of that last line!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That last line pulls at the heart...I've experienced similar. beautifully written on the light, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.