I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

12 February 2016

Cat-Lover's Turn-Around

I shall not have again, I said,
a slinky feline all my own.
It’s time for me to live alone
now that all those I loved are dead.

I need no purrs to share my bed
nor paws to wake me every morn.
I shall not have again, I said,
a slinky feline all my own.

Famous last words! There came a need.
Oh, beautiful – and lacks a home.
So much for solitude. Instead,
by grace and happenstance, I’ve won
a slinky feline all my own.


















A Rondel for Meeting the Bar, at dVerse. (I see too late that I've made mistakes in the rhyme scheme, but can't find a good way to fix it now.)


Photo © Rosemary Nissen-Wade 2016. This photo is mine and should not be copied or used in any way without permission. 

18 comments:

  1. Perfect in form...and I resonate so much with this, having just gotten another cat 3 months after the last one passed. They are such a comfort. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Smile.) Glad I'm not the only one. In my case 5 months after. I did enjoy my temporary freedom, however don't regret this decision one bit.

      Delete
  2. So good there are those homeless cats in need... they do tie us down don't they? My mother had cats until she couldn't her self any longer... but I can still see the sorrow in her eyes when she now is cat-less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I shall not have again, I said,
    a slinky feline all my own".

    Finest of all read. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful & touching write :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it turned out well in the end...you and your cat in perfect company ~

    Suggestion: I would repeat the first and last line with:

    I shall not have again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion, dear Grace, but I don't quite get it in terms of meaning :(

      Delete
  6. This poem makes me smile, Rosemary. And this cat seems to be the purr-fect match for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree. This gave me big amiles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a cute find...and so well placed in this Rondel :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love. You are the lucky one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rosemary, I love this all the more for having seen your stories of your new furry love on Facebook. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had followed some of your early challenges with your new kitty on Facebook, Rosemary, and I'm so glad that it worked itself out between the two of you. I love your poem about your new feline friend! Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you enjoy a wonderful friendship with your new cat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Smiling I am! Delightful....or should I say purrrrfect! :) And I hope you named this new feline Beautiful? Fun fun fun! And very well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling back! No; she is nearly eight years old and had the name Queenie, which I dislike, so I re-named her Selene (moon goddess) which rhymes with Queenie but I think suits her even better.

      Delete
  14. I am glad you have each other. My father in law has a cat that he loves. They keep each other company.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah.. sMiles.. my friend
    after letting go of
    a dear grey friEnd..
    my wife and i just
    talked about how
    we never picked
    out a cat..
    the neighbor's
    cats rebeLLed
    and owned
    us
    instead..
    cats feel
    love.. sadly
    most people
    onLY kNow..:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.