I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

18 September 2011

Tonight the Moon

Tonight the moon
is a bright orange light,
as big as if full
but only three-quarters now
and hanging low down
under its nearest star.

I am glad to note that star
always attached to the moon.
I call to my love to come down
where he can see the surprising light
of this almost-orb we have now
blazing, not quite at the full.

Once he was full
of energy, sizzling like a star,
but frail and slow now.
Still he is thrilled by the moon
sending orange light
through the trees, and comes down

to where he can see it whole. I help him down
the steep stairs. Out in the yard, we are full
of childlike delight,
standing gazing at moon and star.
‘Yes,’ he says, ‘An astonishing moon.
I see it clearly now.

‘But I must go back up now.
I feel unsteady here. I think I might fall down
when I tilt my head back to look at the moon.’
Already my pleasure is full,
having shared with him tonight’s bright moon and star.
‘Let’s go!’ I say, keeping it light.

We climb back up the stairs by orange light
shining on us here, tonight, now.
I follow him like that attendant star
which follows the moon up and down
the arc of the sky; follows from new to full
and through the dwindling to the dark moon.

Leaving the moon, we enter interior light
knowing that life is full even though slower now —
having adventured down to an orange moon and a star.



Journalling my relationship with the moon: 20

Included in the book, THREE CYCLES OF THE MOON

6 comments:

  1. smiles. i like this one a lot...its simple yet complex...and i can see why your pleasure is full...it made me smile...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! This poem is a reminder that it is so important for us to remember to never fail to stop and witness things such as an amazing orange moon. Your love is lucky to have you with him to continue to share these things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, krouth, for your understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a treasure, that childlike delight. ♥ Cherish the memory.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.