I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

6 September 2011

The Nature of Energy

We’re in an after-lunch discussion,
Andrew, Marian, David and me,
about the nature of energy, the way
that it works, how it doesn’t matter
what name or explanation you give,
the underlying principles are the same.
There must be a trade, we agree,
when asking for favours. The balance 
must be kept; you can’t have a vacuum. 

So I remember, when I get home
I must pick fresh flowers for Brigid.
She’s been generous with the poems.
I snip two pink geraniums, four big leaves,
and choose the heavy green glass vase 
that Earl and Roberta gave me long ago
when they were still married, and I 
was with Bill — a gift, you see, from poets.
I stand it before Her picture on my desk.

Later I walk out under the darkening sky
for mundane reasons, and there
unexpected, unlooked-for, the moon
half full, floats above my clothesline
looking like a slice of lemon for a drink.
After all these nights of absence! Easy 
and casual as if it was no big deal, as if 
she’d never been hidden. ‘I am at peace 
with the world,’ says Andrew. So am I.

Journalling my relationship with the moon: 10

Included in the book, THREE CYCLES OF THE MOON

6 comments:

  1. I do so love reading your poems. :) Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this conversation...there is a certain stillness in this poem, a light stillness. A truth said in a very simple manner.

    Thank you for dropping by my poetry blog Rosemary. Your About Rosemary is very interesting, especially the metaphysical aspect.

    Warm wishes
    Padmavani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wam wishes to you too, Padmavani, and thanks for dropping by my blog in turn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the movement in this.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.