I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

10 April 2015

Young Lovers in Central Park, NY

Young love, first love
Filled with true devotion
  Perry Como song

After Andrew died
leaving nearly everything to me,
I didn’t give his photos to his children —
that’s an item for my own will —
I wanted to live with them still.

These which hang on my walls
he took before I knew him,
and blew them up and framed them.

We were old lovers 
(and no worse for that)
meeting late in our lives,
but our hearts were young
and we saw each other’s beauty.

The photos were 20 years ours
and he told me their stories:
how he composed or fluked them.

Young Andrew wanted to be
a professional photographer,
arranged his own apprenticeship —
but his father said, ‘No,
'there’s no money in photography.

'You will work in a shop.'
Junior salesman Andrew soon left,
became film editor and journalist.

And that was a happy working life.
But he took good photos
without any training.
I like this one for its tenderness
and the light coming through the trees.


Words vs pictures is the latest prompt in 'Poems in April' at' imaginary garden with real toads' We are asked to choose a work of art, write about why we chose it, and include a quote that 'reflects a sentiment of the art'. (I found it hard to photograph the photo, and this doesn't really do it justice.)

18 comments:

  1. There is a lovely serenity in this photo reflecting the slower pace of the times. I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh he was very talented, Rosemary. A beautiful photo, so evocative of young love, New York and springtime. Wonderful. I'm glad he was a film editor and journalist, working in the field. And that he continued to take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can certainly see his talent in the photo. It is beautiful. I can certainly understand why you would want to keep his work, let it surround you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemary, this is wonderful, so full of compassion and beauty~ I love all that you shared and that your Andrew marched to his own drum~ Thank you! He was talented, there is intimacy in his work~
    Yes, let's his beauty shine through your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely picture, Rosemary. It makes me feel there again. I am glad he framed it for you. Better scene than when in the movie, Elf, Santa emergency landed his sleigh on the little lake by Strawberry Fields. We chased after our daughter around NYC via subway when she ran the NYC Marathon in 2003. The finish line was in Central Park. We walked from Harlem over to the park. Got to cheer her on using only one subway ride. Last time we were there was in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been there myself, but this photo gives me some sense of it.

      Delete
  6. Lovely choice of artwork!! So peaceful and serene.... poem is beautifully written... with rich and vibrant images... felt so touched after reading it :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tender, Rosemary, and filled with love ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a piece so full of love and nostalgia... Fills me with sadness in all its beauty! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a deeply personal and tender reminiscence - you have shown us both sides of the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A telling tale, a loving lyric, a noble narrative
    I like the tenderness of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very sweet poignant poem--a whole story. k. (Manicddaily)

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is a lump in my throat this morning ~ poetry like yours will do that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like Kerry, I was struck by how deeply personal and tender this feels. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like sitting in your living room while you narrate your love

    ReplyDelete
  15. A gracefully told personal story that is imminently relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad that he followed his heart!! Beautiful story and image, Rosemary!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful, tender story you've created from this picture.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.