I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

13 April 2015

The House Is Quiet Because It Has To Be

Riffing off Wallace Stevens

The night is completely hushed.
House and street are still.
Is there moonlight? No, not tonight.
Quiet and darkness fold my house and me —
because this is my refuge;
it shelters me in its cloak of silence. This house
has just my old cat and me now
to stir it up, but we are not very loud. We can
be whatever we like here, and we choose soft.


Prompt 12 for 'Poems in April' at 'imaginary garden with real toads' is to 'write a new poem or prose poem inspired by a line, title, verse or style of Wallace Stevens'. The title of this poem is a line from a Stevens poem called 'The House Was Quiet and the World Was Calm'. The line was in past tense but I've changed it to present. The poem is another first word acrostic.

20 comments:

  1. I really like this, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful ways to use the words of Wallace... to live in solitude with a cat is such a nice thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can
    be whatever we like here, and we choose soft.

    What a peaceful existence you have captured here. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so adore this, the quiet house as refuge, you and the car, "and we choose soft." Brilliant and perfect, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so beautiful...!! adored these lines:

    Quiet and darkness fold my house and me —
    because this is my refuge;

    This gives such a peaceful feeling... sort of makes me want to lie in the darkness and listen to the sounds coming out the window :D
    Have a great week ahead :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soft & quiet are good for me too ~ This is a different way of using acrostic, I like it ~

    Thanks for linking up with Real Toads & wishing you Happy Sunday ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful... I actually read a line that you hadn't written because I was so into the poem (makes no sense at all, but trust me it's a good thing) - I added something to it that wasn't there because my mind was so much in what I was reading... Ah, well... Can't explain. Loved this, in any case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so curious now! Won't you tell me the line and where it came for you?

      Delete
  8. oh another phrase acroustic, this is the secon one i have encountered among my fellow 'toads'; i am yet to try one; a delightful write

    thanks for dropping in today at my Sunday Lime

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. One's house is a place of safety, a place for rest; there's a feeling of comfort in this poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. and we choose soft.... I could be very happy in that place. Love this Rosemary. I see you are still having fun with this. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just lovely, Rosemary, a new favorite. k. (Manicddaily)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like reading the 'word acrostic', Rosemary. Yours turned out nice. Our house has become a little quieter again because our street has been detoured around. We have a new patch of pavement in front and some more up at the corner.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. "We can be whatever we like here, and we choose soft." A perfect choice. Such a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "we choose soft." a perfect attitude to life..sooooo love this form...i'll try it someday...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes soft is the best way to be--and the sense of refuge and place here is strong.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great way to use the Stevens line. "We can be whatever we like here" -- love that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Choosing soft imakes it a refuge to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. And how wonderful it is to be able to choose soft! Enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.