I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

8 April 2015

Through the Hours Around Dawn

Through the hours around dawn
dreams grow more vivid.
You have a chance of remembering —
get nudged or startled awake
rich with swirling glimpses,
clues to inner space, pointers
to its inhabitants and tales.
What are they but messages:
your own mysteries to solve,
soul-deep, hard to fathom. One
knows the secret truth
and that one, in spite of caution,
wants to tell you what your heart holds.

If you lift your head to listen,
this message could change your life.
Is that your deepest desire?
True, you have said so — but now?
Why are you trembling, why turning away?
Does this revelation threaten a longer journey?
It might take you so deep, you will not
seem or be the same person when you emerge.
So beware. You are at a crossroads. 
Scary? Oh yes!


Today for 'Poems in April' at 'imaginary garden with real toads' it is Open Platform. There is no prompt; we can submit any one of our poems, new or old. This one is new because I wanted to try one of Debi's first word acrostics

But what phrase or sentence to choose as its basis? I am currently reading Writing Down Your Soul by Janet Conner. Also a recent dream revealed to me how and why I was subconsciously resisting something I consciously thought I wanted — after which I came across these two (non-consecutive) sentences in the book (my poem puts them in reverse order):

If this is true, why does it seem so scary?

Through dreams you get rich clues to what your soul knows and wants.

This exercise made me put my words together in a somewhat different way from my usual patterns.

Also linking to Poets United's Midweek Motif: Enlightenment

29 comments:

  1. Amazing. I like the side messages. Just perfect.

    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are clever and a lot to think about in your poem! I just got that book~ We will have to share our thoughts~ I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blues, and the philosophy behind the words, too. There is so much to be learned through dreams. My Grandma used to say that "Dreaming is what happens when our souls need to speak to our brains."

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beauty when the mind opens to explore thoughts and words in new way. I rarely dream with my eyes closed. I dream wide awake. Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. quite the fruitful exercise ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever pattern, Rosemary. I tried reading both at the same time, it is eerie doing that way!! I find that I remember dreams that I have just finished (or left wondering abruptly) just before I wake up. Those are my favorite dreams.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find these acrostic poems fascinating to read. It's amazing the direction the first word on a line may lead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You send out a real challenge, Rosemary. Thanks. k. (Manicddaily)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your questions and especially, this:

    "What are they but messages:
    your own mysteries to solve,"

    This stands out for me...I agree...to each poet a poem's a message and a piece of the mystery that makes us...love it, (all)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fine acrostic with a wonderful message, both downwards on the left, and horizontally, LOL. I resonate with its ,message very much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The duality of this piece is sublime. Exceedingly well done. On topic, enlightenment, self-awareness and an increasingly healthy relationship with self sometimes threaten the status quo of relationships with others.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it--and like the full-word acrostic much better than the first letter one. This fits the PU enlightenment prompt today in every way. "Fear is the mindkiller . . . ." but it is more familiar than turning this corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, was wondering if it might suit that prompt! Shall link straight away. :)

      Delete
  13. we should always be careful indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This idea is quite interesting. Does this mean those who don't remember their dreams want nothing?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are we ready for enlightenment...well that floored me (literally)... superb poem

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sometimes wonder if dreams are our inner thoughts or not...a nice reflection...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rosemary,

    I cannot tell you how close to my heart this poem of yours is today, for I have found myself in its lines many times, of late, and that sudden awareness, that

    'You are at a crossroads.
    Scary? Oh yes!'

    is EXACTLY what makes me sit in stillness, for if I dare to move, I may not be able to retrace my steps, if things don't work out as they 'should'!

    Captivating!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad the poem spoke to you. Yes, I guess that is the great far — of burning one's bridges. I like the idea of writing letters to God or your Higher Self asking for helpful advice, and eventually that advice appears on the page. As in the book Writing Down Your Soul by Janet Conner.

      Delete
  18. I hear you, Rosemary!!
    'You are at a crossroads.
    Scary? Oh yes!'

    Oh yes...!! A life reaching the end without living the dreams could be scary!. Great reminders!! A super-inspiring poem!! Loved this... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY, Rosemary, this is wonderful - isn't it fun? I am a strong believer in dreams telling us things we unconsciously know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Rosemary, you really channeled the heart...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. many a times in life one is in a sea of uncertainty..but the trial is 'not to be scared but bravely move on..your poem inspires the forward approach though with a deep questioning stance....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I suppose we sometimes choose the discomfort of our unhappiness over the fear of change. This because we become accustomed to it and even consider that an achievement. Perhaps like herd animals we prefer to follow a leader rather than lead ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rosemary,

    I loved reading this.It reminded me of arriving at the end of a dream-like adventure, which then asks questions in one's state of awareness..Both good and bad answers may follow!!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.