I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

28 April 2015

A Dragonfly on the Step

A dragonfly on the step.
Big black lacy wings.
A twisted body.

Dragonfly was the sign
to tell me, after he died,
that he was near.

Outside again
for a closer look,
saw nothing.

Well, dirt and crumbling leaves;
a caught white dandelion seed.
But dragonfly — not there.

He is free now, I tell myself, 
He is safe.
But it still makes me cry. 


For day 28 of 'Poems in April' at 'imaginary garden with real toads', there is no specific prompt. I decided to do an erasure poem, using an entry from my private journal.

18 comments:

  1. Yea, you xoncey these feelings in a very human and affecting way, easy to relate to. Thanks. K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Rosemary…your beloved is always present… gentle reminders come and go so you will not forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful...! :D
    Loved it!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly It. Free and safe, but we still miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sign of the dragonfly.. what a wonderful signals from beyond.. the tears at the end are understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, I always want those signs, pine for them, and mostly miss or don't receive them. Lucky to notice, keep noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Free and safe, yes. My parents come as bluebirds. I know it sounds odd, but my father loved them and my parents lived in Missouri..the bluebird is the state bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't sound odd to me, Susie, but beautiful — and makes perfect sense.

      Delete
  8. Oh...this is so emotive and beautiful, Rosemary...thank you for sharing this with us. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this- I, too watch for animal totems and their spirits~
    Yes, free and safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is free now, I tell myself,
    He is safe.
    But it still makes me cry.

    One would have wanted it that way! Let it be free! Crying is a crying of joy! Great lines Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  11. It doesn't matter how much we think they've traveled to a land of eternal summer (or winter if that's what their soul prefers), it's always sad when we feel the space they left behind. Your speaker is quite right...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love lives on, doesn't it, Rosemary? And the joy it brings is sometimes matched by the intensity of "the missing."

    ReplyDelete
  13. It must be hard. Especially now winter approaches. I feel terribly sad for you...cuddle the cat and have a hot cocoa . Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good suggestions! (It has become easier over time.)

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.