I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

19 June 2017

Dark Emerald

The large green stone,
square-cut, was mounted
on simple gold: a plain setting.

I crept in often to gaze –
sitting at her dressing table,
tugging open the heavy drawer.

My mother must have known
it was my dream of beauty,
never told me it was only glass.


Written for Micro Poetry ~ Dark Emeralds at 'imaginary garden with real toads'.

12 comments:

  1. But does it matter... how nice that it's only glass... no need to vault it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the freight of value that adulthood invests in those gems don't matter to children, who value beholding more than anything. So nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE!❤️ I like how you paint the image of a younger you gazing at dark emerald❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. the magic lies in the dreams and imaginings, and if lucky, when the truth is revealed, the mystery still dances in the soul :)

    well done and phrased :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful. Respecting a young girl's dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first two stanzas and the beginning of the third are so full of wonder, just to be ripped from under our feet by the last few lines. This is so good at making us feel what the speaker feels...

    ReplyDelete
  7. belief matters more than anything, I suspect ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the beauty mattered most. The word 'emerald' still brings back that ring to my mental vision.

      Delete
  8. I especially like the image of you as the fern expanding in the light. I found myself feeling sad that I don't connect or get comfortable with other people like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen, you clearly mean this comment for a different poem, 'Visiting Letitia'. I don't know how the wires got crossed, but I appreciate your response anyway.

      Delete
  9. Ah... But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.