I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

14 June 2017

Neruda in the Rain

I am lunching at a window
overlooking rainy Murwillumbah,
reading a book about young Pablo Neruda
writing poetry to the tune of the rain.

He loved the sound of the rain, we are told,
even while hating the rain. I too
am not enamoured of the bleak wet
but find strange comfort in the rhythmic sounds.

But I don't want to be Neruda,
even as I envy his words their liquid music.
I want to be me, living where I am, in my life 
that has been as rich as his in love.

Almost as rich as his in travel, art,
engagement; probably even richer
in its plethora of dear, true friends. I love to be 
me, reading about Neruda, and reading Neruda.


Submitted for The Tuesday Platform June 13 2017 at 'imaginary garden with real toads'.

Also linked to Poets United's Poetry Pantry #360.

28 comments:

  1. Ah, the poetic significance of rain is vital. And we shouldn't want to be our favorite poets; that stands true because every voice is unique and individual in its own right. I am glad that you want to be you and in this circumstance share words as beautiful as yours.
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the rain keeps spawning poetry- from Neruda to his readers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love Neruda but could not compare to his or your rich love of life - this has to be one of my favourite of your poems

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poetic and practical. I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really good. (you had a grand life too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely LOVE this poem! Love that your life has been as rich as Neruda's (as indeed it has!) Love that you love reading Neruda in the rain. Such a gorgeous poem. I Wish I'd Written it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful message, Rosemary. I like the way you wrote about an admired poet, compared your life just a bit, and found yours a rich life as well! This made me smile and think we all should feel this way about our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I walk in drizzle but sit in a tin-roofed gazebo to listen to thunder storms. Lovely images.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the whole essence of rain is in its promise of rebirth, of growth and fruitfulness. Your beautiful poem reminds me of sitting looking of a window or open door and seeing that life giving water tumble down for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice to read about your passion for Neruda, Rosemary. It drives me to love my own favorites in my own way. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James. I'm sorry I can't find a way to comment at your new blog.

      Delete
  11. I love the sound of rain too (maybe with the exception if I'm in a tent).., great to read this, and the wonderful Neruda poem you gave, but most of all that it's all yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this one with all the richness of life. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a peaceful state of mind to be in

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to be reading Neruda myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the storms we've had of late, I can't help thinking that even Mother Nature is displaying her own form of resistance to the current state of affairs. I used to love the music of the rain, now I sense a certain anguish and a level of appeal, to our better nature.

      Elizabeth

      Delete
  15. There is no biggest richness than to love to be exactly who we are when we are.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can think of nothing better....i want to dive in again to read Neruda in the rain...if it ever rains again....

    ReplyDelete
  17. So much satisfaction to have reached the levels of Neruda, Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  18. I admire your ability to take a moment spent reading a favorite poet and turn it into a poem exquisitely crafted. I so enjoyed Neruda's poem, and even moreso yours!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've imbued this with a wonderful conversational cadence and pinned it to your thoughts on a poet's life and your life ... while lunching to the rhythmic sounds of rain. You've sketched a lovely, intimate cozy vignette here.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this poem! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know Murwillumbah and Neruda seems to suit the wet Northern Rivers. It gave me a real feeling of being back there (been 10 years now since I've left ...twinges for the first time. Enjoyed this poem immensely.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.