I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

23 June 2017

The Yoga Master

How sinuously 
she contorts herself
into positions which,
on the basis of eyesight
and some idea of anatomy,
should be impossible.

She makes it look easy –
shoulders high, head low;
arched back, then slump;
limbs curving over bent head;
body recumbent while legs
reach gradually further up the wall.

Then she relaxes flat,
motionless, and I realise
she has gone into deep meditation,
zoning out, stilling her mind.  
She can lie a long time like that
before slowly stretching and purring.



















Written for Poets United's Midweek Motif ~ Yoga


11 comments:

  1. Oh this is so very clever, Rosemary. Ha, I do think that my dogs aren't bad at yoga either...especially when they are lying in the sun! I love all of the details you included, as well as the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw...'Then she relaxes flat, / motionless' perfect Savasana...lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. Indeed! In one of his acting lessons, Stanislavsky has students watch a cat and relax into a counterbalanced flow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When one takes in the nature of your personality, one sees the beauty of thus poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rosemary - how are you? I had this funny feeling after reading the word sinuously that you were speaking of a kitty - a beautiful kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, aren't you the clever one?! I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this, Rosemary. Thanks for sending me into my Saturday evening with a hearty chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love this!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. There isn't a day that I'm not envious of Squeak and the girl's flexibility, as they perform, what come naturally, to them. Only if, I could do yoga, like they do. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.