I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

29 April 2017

Stopping Short

Stop pouring just before 
the cup is full and flows over.

Leave room in the glass
to savour the wine’s bouquet.

Pick the fruit just before it ripens.
Don't let it rot, uneaten in the bowl.

Pick the flowers before full bloom,
so they brighten your room longer.

Leave one chocolate in the box,
to enjoy tomorrow.

Pause, don't go over the edge...

– No, sorry; this is all too careful for me.

I'll always scoff that last chocolate,
and go full tilt right over the edge.

I want to gulp my life, not sip!
(Besides, there are no ends, only beginnings.)



Written for Penultimatums, day 29 of April Poetry Month at 'imaginary garden with real toads, in which we are invited to savour the moment before completion. I take the point, but somehow found myself writing something I didn't believe in, so changed the direction of the poem mid-stream.

And then I wrote another on the same topic: click here.

14 comments:

  1. You had me wondering for a moment or two...but then...phew...suck the marrow Rosemary...suck the marrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad of the wondering and the 'phew' – that all that careful wisdom didn't sound like me, lol.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE it! Passionate Crones MUST eat the last chocolate, there are always more tomorrow. A wonderful write. Makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes... never save anything for tomorrow... love the new beginnings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such good advice, but life is short, we should just enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very wise here, exceptionally so in refuting all of its wisdom. As Rilke wrote of Orpheus: "It is by exceeding that he obeys" ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love 'there are no ends, only beginnings' sigh.. excellent write ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha. Am laughing here. This seems very true of you and not such a bad way to live. Mice can get those chocolates! k.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too. Besides the girl at the candy shop is cute. (you get the lesson)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gulping life as we experience it, live to the fullest. I would have a hard time with leaving that one chocolate in the box. This was a fun read, Rosemary.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha... almost words of wisdom - but does the utterer actually follow their own advice? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, life is to be lived not pampered into safely dull. Thanks so much for the poetry you shared this month.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.