I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

29 April 2017

My Bogeyman

Gaining on me in dreams,
chasing me through the dark,
contorted face distorted –
human or monstrous? Both.

Large and hunched, hulking.
Big feet thudding just behind me,
huge arms reaching to grab.
Exhaustion, terror. Any minute....

Always running, running, running.
That was the frightful thing – that pitch
of anticipation (his breath on my neck)
of sudden, final, shrieking horror.

Which never happened, 
though it always felt so close.
Poor Bogeyman, are you still
out there somewhere, running,

never quite catching up? Or did I
in some unremembered moment
turn at last and embrace you, 
kissing your ugly, yearning face? 


Written for day 28 of April Poetry Month at 'imaginary garden with real toads': Boogeyman (called 'bogeyman' here, when I was growing up.)

14 comments:

  1. Very vivid and scary, Rosemary. And with the uncertainty of dreams. Thanks and thanks for kind comment. You are almost done! K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the ending. Both can stop running. I think I remember seeing it spelled "bogeyman" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely dream any more, but I remember my boogeyman dreams. Glad they haven't returned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rather intense and suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nothing quite like grappling with our fears ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very real portrayal here, Rosemary. It takes two to have a boogeyman, I haven't seen the boogeyman but I've seen his victim very afraid.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You certainly switched it up at the end, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luv this shift

    "Poor Bogeyman, are you still
    out there somewhere, running,"

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness this is intense! I didn't expect the twist at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you did beat the boogeyman at last...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the twist too. Maybe this monster was searching for love...
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice twist and lesson

    ReplyDelete
  13. I appreciate all the comments. I'll come clean: I think the bogeyman of my dreams was my shadow self seeking to be embraced and integrated.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.