I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

13 June 2016

Don't Say a Word

Hush little baby, everything’s fine,
just down the road is a bauxite mine.
Go to sleep now, don’t you weep.
The coal seam gas is fracking deep.
Don’t worry, honey, when the tap spews flame
I think you’ll find that no-one is to blame.

Hush little baby, don’t make a noise.
We’re out protesting with the big girls and boys.
Lie down quiet, don’t make a sound.
A taser might hurt but it can’t leave a wound.
There there, darling, all will be well.
(Your Daddy’s in a cell, and your Mumma’s in hell.)


The Eerie Nursery Rhymes challenge at 'imaginary garden with real toads' calls for 'seemingly sweet lullaby-like poems which ooze ... creepiness.' Perhaps this isn't weird enough to qualify – yet, for me, coal seam gas fracking is about the scariest, most sinister thing on the planet at present, and strip mining not far behind it. This is to the tune of 'Hush Little Baby (don't say a word)' – a traditional lullaby, used in Porgy and Bess.


9 comments:

  1. oh yes, fracking is certainly creepy and you little ditty is too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are targeting fracking, Rosemary. The results are devastating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scary isn't always weird. In fact, I think some of the scariest things are the product of people and events society considers extremely normal. Your poem is terrifying, and the sweet touch makes it even more so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fraught with political wiles Rosemary; nice tones


    here's mine

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I do love the political slant here... the poor baby do need its sleep, but I think it's a bad world to grow up in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would a canary help? That baby is not ever going to sleep again Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'd say this qualifies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reality in dark nursery rhyme...So so scary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect, and so unfortunately apt.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.