I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

28 June 2016

Pluto

Governs Scorpio –
which used to share Mars
with fiery Aries, until
this dark mystery was found.

So small, it's hard to define
as a regular planet. (They
are big and gassy.) 
But it's intense!

It has frozen nitrogen lakes,
a huge, hazy atmosphere
with layers embedded,
a sky that's blue like ours

and, probably, 
vast seas of water 
hidden underground –
very Scorpio, that.

Astronomers argue now.
Can't it still be a planet
as it's so exciting, or
is it King of the Dwarves?

It's far colder
than we can imagine.
And I hate the cold.
Still I want it. We Scorpions

are not direct like Aries,
nor as warlike as Mars.
We are of an underworld
that isn't hot and hellish.

Rather, we are deep 
and dangerous,
like hidden oceans 
or solid nitrogen.


Linked to the current Tuesday Platform at 'imaginary garden with real toads'.

10 comments:

  1. "Pluto also governs (besides Scorpio) crime and the underworld, along with many forms of subversive activity (terrorism, dictatorships). ... It rules Scorpio and the Eighth House." (www.astrology.com/article/planets-pluto.html)
    I know nothing of astrology except that my sign is Scorpio.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know much more of astronomy so I was pretty lost in reading your poem. I'm sure it means plenty to those who know.
      BTW, June, and your month of +365 is about over, are you ready to crash?
      ..

      Delete
    2. Well, Scorpio is the best sign! (I say so.)

      I got most of my info from a science program last night. I'm just relating what facts I gleaned, and mixing it up a bit with the astrology stuff. Plus the fact that some people now say it is king (in size) of the many, many 'dwarf planets' - which I never knew about before.

      You do pay attention, don't you, my friend? It's been a lovely month at the Project. I made some new friends, re-acquainted myself with old colleagues, and saw some wonderful work. Writing begets writing, so what with that and the prompts from other groups, it's been pouring out. But I don't think I could keep up that pace too much longer. Things like housework and exercise have been neglected!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting. The stars and planets are to me, so vast and mind blowing, the very little i've read holds me in awe. I'm Aquarius I think there is a hankering for peace and brotherhood intwined somewhere within. Don't know much about Scorpio. Thanks for sharing

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Aquarius people are good too. (I was very happily married to one for 20 years.)

      The poem is a bit tongue-in-cheek, really.

      Delete
  3. I think this is an attempt to portray yourself as scary ( chuckles) yeah sure !
    I am a Libran...the gentle balanced person ( guffaws) so much for the stars eh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it! Never know what to expect from you Rosemary and that makes it fun. Dark mystery is the best kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes... mysterious and lovely. Scorpion.... brings the program Penny Dreadful to mind for me, and its protagonist Vanessa Ives. A program that actually you might quite like if you haven't seen it. There is a recommendation for you, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha. Both of my children are Scorpians. I agree that they deserve they own planet. They are not cold people though! Enjoyed! Take care, k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all in the stars. Hank is a Leo, most kind-hearted apparently!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.