I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

21 August 2017

Adopting an Older One

It’s really not complicated 
(though she is complex); it’s gradual. 
Over a year before she began to purr; 
closer to two until she learned, 
tentatively, to miaow.

This evening she gave my finger 
a tiny lick. Still I know – because 
she has taught me so – I must never
presume nor encroach. She makes all 
the running, sets the pace. It’s simple.














at 'imaginary garden with real toads' (10 lines)

15 comments:

  1. Yes. For me, too, the simplicity is acknowledging the gradual. Love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a great lesson for me in unconditional love. I have to accept her as she is, not as I wish her to become.

      Delete
  2. Love this, Rosemary. No you certainly can't make a cat love you, no more than one can make a person love you. But if you work at it and have love for them they MAY love you. Nature of beast and beauty, there needs to be the "spark" somewhere to start the fire.
    BTW, congrstulations, you are the first to realize that the second verse was after the little girl had been fitted for glasses. This one was my daughter when she, my ex, and I would walk in the evenings. Mrs Jim had a similar experience and now you. Perhaps I was too subtLe or also the saying, "It takes one to know one" is true.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the (slight) downside of participating in a community is that we can read each other's work too quickly, not taking time to fully understand what is there to be seen with a closer look. (No pun intended, lol.) I didn't find it too subtle at all; but I guess that those who have never needed glasses, if reading in haste, might miss the obvious.

      Delete
  3. You are kind, to have adopted an older one. I imagine, like we humans, the history she has lived makes her slow to adapt to change. The lick implies trust and gratitude. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very simple, and the slightest sign of her affection, a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cat showing such affection is something that you feel honored to have.. wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this precious moment

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this one, Rosemary. You did a wonderful thing for you, and your new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Not entirely. There are some other things in which she has to accept my decisions, e.g. what and how much she get to eat.

      Delete
  9. A lovely from me too.
    "She makes all
    the running, sets the pace. It’s simple."
    So true - cats own us not the other way round!
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  10. A milestone moment indeed! Beautifully penned, Rosemary💘

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had cats all my life and I totally get this. I had a cat once that LOVED to be by me - followed me from room to room. But did not want me ever to pick her up and cuddle! They are distinct personalities and they fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.