I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

1 May 2016

Inescapable

Let’s keep contact to a mimimum,
he said. I know it’s unfair, but you
remind me of those painful events
we shared long ago. In old age
they keep coming back – and oh,
I want peace these last few years,
whatever’s left. Selfish of me, but….

Agreed – but my mind, now,
writhes with dark memories.


Written for Flash 55 Plus at 'imaginary garden with real toads': a 55-word poem, plus the inclusion of a word with the prefix 'in'.

12 comments:

  1. There is a story here that we should not remember... but once it's out of the box it seem to settle and eat you from within..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it is that easy to forget a person, a time of one's life. Such things are inescapable after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memories (and the people who plant them in us) have a way of making themselves perennial. Inescapable, indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This has a dark undertone (for me, anyway) that's really gripping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This line is so strong: "writhes with dark memories"

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad and wasteful. K. You

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to build a wall that pain can't flow over, especially in memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's sad and not just a little foolish to think strong memories can be escaped so easily. It's hard to imagine any peace found between the two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't bring the painful past up because it will remind you. Wise words Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, so he elected to preserve his peace of mind at the expense of yours.....but he will find himself remembering, nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.