I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

26 May 2017

Prelude to a Romantic Weekend

Arriving on my doorstep suddenly
he thrust at me a bunch of roses, red
for passion, offered awkwardly,
suggesting now would be the time for bed.
My house-mate and her children, luckily,
were going out. I whispered what he’d said,
that he’d decided we should ‘break the ice’.
She winked and said she’d stay out longer. Nice!

We’d planned a beautiful weekend away
to change our new romance to an affair:
a seaside venue meant for holiday
where we could play, let down our hair …
but that was some time hence, he said – and hey,
we’d want to be relaxed then, free of care
about performance, revelation, trust,
and all those issues that might hinder lust.

And so we had our first time then and there
inside my double bed, too long unshared.
Now, understand, we were not young; we were
the later end of middle age. We bared
imperfect bodies to each other’s stare
and moved like adolescents newly paired –
like clumsy virgins! But we worked it out
quite soon. And yes, his bright idea was right.

                            ******

In twenty years of happy marriage, till
he left me when the angels called him home,
we loved each other thoroughly and well.
Reality was sweeter than a dream.
And memories can sweeten my heart still,
as if he never left – so it can seem.
He loved to give me roses. In my head
he still says: ‘Get yourself some roses – red!’


Written for Poets United's Midweek Motif ~ Flowers, and simultaneously for dVerse Form for All – Ottava Rima.

24 comments:

  1. That is very nice! I am amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So full of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delight this poetic story is. The beauty about being a poet is being able to tell a tale such as this in rhyme and nobody knows whether it is true or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this one's true – unlike, I suspect, some of your delicious tales. But I like the way you always keep us guessing, so we can choose to believe them..

      Delete
  4. What a powerfully sweet memory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so delightful- to fall in love should never be too late. Of course the last stanza made it clear that nothing lasts forever, but I hope you still get yourself some roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sometimes – but now I love to photograph them, and share them on facebook.

      Delete
  6. Delightful, Rosemary, sad too but sweetly so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rose is red with passion in this poem

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful memories of your love.It's not in your head...he is still with you ...Buy those red roses !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, that's lovely! The run on lines are so well-timed, keep the rhythm and give the poem a flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane. I really did find this one hard work, so I am very glad to know the work succeeded.

      Delete
  10. Fluid, like the memory that cherishes it.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. At times joyful, at times poignant, at times sad ... you take us with you on the journey. Lovely write, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is soo incredibly poignant and sweet, Rosemary!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I loved this. A love which will never perish (it is that special). Dream on...

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great romantic poem.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh so sweet, how he always wanted you to have roses. My friend, you lived my dream with Andrew. It does me good to hear such happy love stories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I, too,love to read successful love stories....I'm so glad for you it was right and you still feel the connection.;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reality was sweeter than a dream.
    And memories can sweeten my heart still,
    as if he never left – so it can seem

    How so sweet and such a wonderful take, Rosemary! The memories linger on when the love that was nurtured was shared with such a sacred blooming of two souls. It will always be there. It will not be easily obliterated by time at all! On the contrary it will even bloom further!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely memories to treasure for a lifetime. Beautiful write, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely tribute to a wonderful relationship, Rosemary. If love works then it's all roses and hearts and sweet music and good times...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.