I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

17 November 2016

Invisible to the Eye

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince.

I used to measure people by whether they could SEE me.
It wasn't meant as arrogance or unkindness –
it showed me my tribe, those few I could talk to openly
about the invisible world, and the invisible me.

It wasn't meant as arrogance or unkindness
when the many others dismissed me as boring, uncool
or whatever. (I never really knew.) How should I interest them?

It showed me my tribe, those few I could talk to openly,
when I saw in their eyes that they perceived the invisible.
But then the Messengers said, 'Time to stop hiding. Shine your light!'

About the invisible world, and the invisible me
were shields, veils, spells of protection. I was used to working incognito. 
I liked the anonymity. To stand out in public and blaze is alarming.


Linked to Poets United's Midweek Motif: Invisibility


19 comments:

  1. "To stand out in public and blaze is alarming."

    Is it? Uh-oh. I must be alarming then. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I meant alarming to the stander-outer who is used to being anonymous. Never thought about the effect on other people! (Maybe that's their problem.)

      Delete
    2. Ohhhhhh, gotcha. :)

      "Stander-outer" is an AWESOME word. Love, love, love it.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like you could claim it as a label. :-D

      Delete
  2. It is wonderful to find the members of our tribe. And I am glad you are out there and shining your bright light, Rosemary. So more people can learn about the treasures of the invisible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone has to find a way to locate their tribe. I am sure the members of your tribe appreciate all that you are. We don't really need to have a big 'tribe,' I find. We need to find the right tribe of people know and like who we are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is always that strange dichotomy of both revealing and hiding ourselves. This applies particularly to writing where what we write does not always reflect who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how letting your Light shine also shows kindred spirits the way to you. I believe we have to go back and forth beteeen hermit and guide and celebrant in order to energize all of who we are. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Tarot the Hermit IS the guide – the way-shower shining a lantern. And the Hermit is one of my life cards.

      Delete
  6. I think we all seek people of our tribe who see what is invisible to others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We really need 'those few' in this life's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I strongly agree with the fact that we can not possibly please everybody and there are few with whom our heart can be open❤️ xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting poem with so much truth
    I used to measure people by whether they could SEE me I think that is very human
    I think there are mostly only few people who can see the invisible you and these are to be treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Live the fact that invisbility here was used to measure understanding and empathy but wisdom instead decided to shine

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic...and that's the best way to keep up with the treasures of peace, blessings and benefits!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "About the invisible world, and the invisible me
    were shields, veils, spells of protection. I was used to working incognito.
    I liked the anonymity. To stand out in public and blaze is alarming.

    This reminds me of me as a young thing, and (also) not quite so young. Took me quite some time to shine my light.

    Kind regards
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  13. So deeply expressed. So tender. Bloom fair rose

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this. Wanting to be seen by and wanting not to be see. We are strange creatures - our humanity always questioning always aware...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm, yes. To be seen, or rather to allow oneself to be really seen can be a terrifying experience and one that can make one very vulnerable. Being amongst members of one's own tribe when one does such things can build up strength and defence mechanisms that will be useful in other situations! Well penned...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.