I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

6 April 2011

Dear Mum and Dad

How are you both?
What’s it like being dead?
I expect you’ve grown
quite used to it by now.

I can’t believe it’s been
so long! I’m already older
than you were, Dad,
and hope to outlast Mum.

I think I turned out all right.
You might not agree.
But you see, in my opinion
you got some things wrong.

I did grow up to be a poet.
I’m glad I never married
the doctor or lawyer
you thought would suit me.

And I’m about to watch
a TV program that includes
‘sex scenes and coarse language’.
There’s nothing you can do.


(Day 3 - Your parents)

6 comments:

  1. Right on, crone sister. Loved it.
    "Nothing you can do about it!" So it is.

    Claudia/le_aucoeur@livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it!!~paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to be striking a chord with people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute,

    signed in to follow your blog,
    poem on.
    check us out, share,

    free style poems are welcome too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the following, and I'm so sorry I won't be able to do much in response to your kind invitation. Our internet access is extremely limited so it's all I can do to keep up with present commitments. But I'll bear it in mind, and you never know. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.