I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

18 April 2009

All I Want is Impossible to Say (April Challenge 17)

Prompt: Write a poem called "All I want is (blank)"
and fill in the blank.


This is my fifth attempt
to write this poem
and they are all different.

I don’t merely fiddle
with variations on a theme,
I start whole new stories.

Some of them are even true
as far as they go
but they don’t go deep.

There are the little things I want
(you know – beauty, money,
and poetry to rival Shakespeare)

and then there are the great
like saving the planet
and still that’s not deep enough.

I have never been able to tell
even the closest people
what lies in my deepest heart.

All I want I cannot say
and no-one could give it anyway
except God who knows untold.

2 comments:

  1. metapoems have to do some times. Nice kicker stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Particularly when churning 'em out daily! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.