I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

25 November 2012

Towards Dusk


Day moves towards dusk.
The wind surges up
with a sound like waves.
It's good to remember you
not as you were in recent days 
but earlier, younger, full
of energy surges like that
and passionate joy.

I don't remember 
who I was then
but I do remember you
and my blood surges up like waves
like the rushing of wind in the trees,
as I move towards dusk but slowly;
still here although alone,
still sensual, still engaged.

Submitted for Poets United's Poetry Pantry #132

9 comments:

  1. It is good to have those memories as the 'day moves toward dusk,' but also to be engaged with life in the present as well. Nicely said, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a very well-crafted work. i think this poem is about aging, but aging without love diminished. i may be wrong but that's the beauty of poetry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like "I don't remember who i was then but i do remember you" so true - very heartfelt and moving poem

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though twinged with the sadness of loss and grief it is lovely to have had those moments and emotions to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those memories of younger times give energy to continue moving to dusk. Nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks to you all for the kind comments. The poem is indeed about ageing, and also about loss and facing it alone - and yes, with love undiminished and good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt the loss. My heart tightened a bit as you conveyed the emotions so well.

    http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2013/01/13/feckless/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the sentiment and emotion in this. Aging is always bitter sweet - and this lovely poem captures that feeling very well.

    http://photodiction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.