I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

25 November 2012

Time Goes By


They herd even more now
(their nature)
coming wherever I am
to lie near.
They are mostly silent,
seldom purr.

It's ten weeks since he died;
thirteen
since they saw him here—
more than twice
that time I spent away,
which seemed long.

I think they start to know
for certain 
that he will never come
back to us —
back here, back home ... slowly
losing hope.


Submitted for Poets United's Poetry Pantry #128

27 comments:

  1. I do think animals do KNOW things....and miss the familiar presence of those they loved and who loved them. Sad, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you consider they have been with us 14 years....

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be at your side and mourn with you - yes I think they know and are there to take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We take care of each other, and I know I need them as much as they need me. :)

      Delete
  4. I agree with Libby. They do grieve. They know so much and have a lot to teach us.This must be a difficult period for you. I wish you strength and I hope there are some nice moments no matter how fleeting in your days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cressida. There are nice moments, often involving the cats. :)

      Delete
  5. Reflected grief, just as painful even in companionship. I think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The aching heart and grief pulsate in this piece, with new perspective and incredible clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so moving, Rosemary. Yes, animals carry grief - their own and also ours. My elderly friend Faiza's husband died last February and her Doberman, a highly sensitive dog to begin with, is still grieving. She licks his chair, she looks at his photo, she needs to be near Faiza and she talks sadly in her throat. Poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine she and Faiza comforting each other, as the cats and I do. (Levi remains hopeful that if he just looks in Andrew's office....)

      Delete
  8. So very sad! You explore this part of life so well in the piece--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm observing the process and recording it.

      Delete
  9. This is so sad but animals have a deep instinct for these ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rosemary, I feel your sorrow, and that of your animals, and I pray for ease in your heart, in your home in time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so sad but beautiful as well. Your pets may well be grieving with you but they are also trying to comfort you.(The first stanze shows that) May you be comforted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm so glad I've got them; don't know how I'd cope without them.

      Delete
  12. Our pets are so attuned to us, especially yours--14 years! I am glad you have them, though they are sorrowing with you, what a comfort to have them there to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having to look after them gives me essential grounding, I think.

      Delete
  13. I think they would be picking up on your own feelings...

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm so sorry for your loss. i'm sure your cats are wanting to comfort you as much as they are grieving themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.