I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

29 February 2012

NaHaiWriMo 2012 Week Four

Feb. 22: vent

cool morning air
through the open door
magpies calling


February 23: Today's writing prompt is to write mischievously about a cross-eyed paleontologist studying a one-legged rhinoceros beetle nibbling an Egyptian mummy’s shoulder blade during the summer solstice on Mars, and be sure to refer to a mega-hard Sudoku puzzle, torn Monopoly money, and a vampire, plus a Mongolian-speaking Nobel prize-winner who dances polkas whenever he hears “Moves Like Jagger” on bagpipes or the Macarena song performed on an out-of-tune Northumbrian squeezebox underwater. And be sure to type in your poem with your nose while singing a Broadway show tune, since you should now have plenty of practice at doing exactly that. Anything less and I shall be supremely disappointed. Just kidding. Again. Instead, write about . . . a wig.

on Mars
summer solstice
red-hot

cross, I
watch rhino beetles
unwrap Mummy

crosswords please
not Sudoko numbers
too cryptic

blood money
vampires tear into
Monopoly

Obama now
moves like Jagger
dancing underwater

peace prize winner
out of tune with the people
faces new battles

the squeeze is felt
in Outer Mongolia
Pandora’s box

bagpipes
or Macarena ...
let’s just polka

nobody knows
the trouble I’ve seen
typing practice

haiku prompts
after 23 days
I flip my wig


Feb. 24: [the letter] x

exhausted
we cuddle in sleep
the cats purr


Feb. 25: yellow (must use the word)

yellow rose
golden in my poem
I was eight


Feb. 26: zip

humid evening
at the end of summer
I’ve lost my zip


Feb. 27: bad haiku


His Eyes

his diamond-bright eyes
are giving me gorgeous goose-
bumps when I see them


Love

love is the greatest
power in the universe
it will cure all ills


An Encounter

her dress was yellow
the autumn day was mellow
his eyes smiled hello


Feb. 28: make a ‘generated’ haiku ( from http://www.everypoet.com/haiku/default.htm ) more literary

original:

dreaming plum giggling
tugging bronze unbroken bride
palpitates softly

mine:

plum blossoms
cover her in white ...
soft laughter

**********

asleep
by the bronze statue
her soft breathing


Feb. 29: leap

stray duck in traffic
I pray
for a flying leap

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.