I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

13 April 2012

Something Intense

My horoscope said, ‘Today
there will be an intense
conversation. You must
express your views.’

I waited all day. Only
the bland and average,
the practical, necessary,
everyday exchanges.

Then, that night, on TV,
the documentary — Australia
and the war in Vietnam. ‘Oh look,
I’m there!’ I said, pointing.

But it was only a glimpse, just a few
of the women from Save Our Sons.
‘They didn’t show me,’ I said,
‘But I was there that day.’

‘What were you doing there?’
I stared at him. ‘I was holding up
a placard. I was standing
with the others. I was protesting.

‘I remember, I was about eight months
pregnant.’ ‘Oh, you silly thing,’
he said indulgently. Then
our conversation became intense.

April PAD Challenge #12: ‘Something ...’

Also submitted for Poets United's Poetry Pantry #97

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Rosemary. I am so happy I came in here tonight to find this poem. I remember those years - the times they were a-changing, and you had a good reason in your belly to protest the war. They are still fighting wars that should not be happening. Sigh. We almost changed the world back then - we wanted to - but they assassinated all our leaders and we grew dispirited.

    However, I kept on with women's lib.......which showed me a way out (of the marriage)- so maybe, more accurately, a way IN - to life!!!!!!!! Those were the days, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the times they were a-changing. Good for you for standing up and protesting for what you believed in.
    Lovely prose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this - how you have made the ordinary special!

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.