I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

10 April 2012

Shadow Selves

She is Ms Nasty,
I am Ms Nice.
I am all virtue,
she is all vice.

She’s in black leather,
I’m frills and lace,
yet some people tell us
we ought to embrace.

Do opposites attract?
No, not in this case.
And yet it’s so strange —
we wear the same face.

Although we feel
so separate,
we’re told it’s best
to integrate.

Will I allow
myself to swear?
Can she discard
that surly air?

We’ll have to do it
bit by bit.
In tentative swaps,
we find the clothes fit!

April PAD Challenge #9: Shady / Shadowy.

Also submitted for Poets United Poetry Pantry #96

8 comments:

  1. Do we all work hard to bring our internal opposites in alignment? Perhaps it is part of the human journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! You said it so well, Kim! It's always a challenge. Like they always say, (wo)man's greatest battle is against him/herself.

      Delete
  2. Yes, KIm, I think it's supposed to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the juxtaposition of both sides of the same coin... or human as is the case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think as long as the parties are trying to get along, and keep communication in the forefront -- there is plenty of room for differences!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennie, I think the trouble is that often our shadow selves are relegated to the subconscious, so that becoming aware of the Other aspect of oneself is the first step. This poem is actually a simplistic, overstated account of the psychology involved, for the sake of emphasising the contrast.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.