I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

8 July 2017

A Vain Pursuit


I search in facebook and my email box
in a vague play of eyes and finger-tips
for something – anything – I don’t know what.

Except I do. I want to smash the locks
that death instals so deftly: kiss the lips
of those I loved, as if alive. They’re not.

And friends I used to talk to when online
have nothing new to tell me now; their quips
and loving wisdom stilled, while bodies rot.
Likewise, they don’t absorb one word of mine,
though I pine.

Written for the curtal sonnet challenge at Poetic Asides
Also linking to Poets United's Poetry Pantry #371

26 comments:

  1. This, the fifth of yours I have read today, sings to me especially. Thank you for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just a phase. You are not alone. Communication will return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the search for what once was and is no more.....and the sad longing, knowing that it is gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Mary. I resonate with that longing for that which was golden, now gone....but remembered as such an incredible gift. Sigh. Beautiful, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the longing touches to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The digital footprint we leave behind lasts for a long time.. whether it brings comfort or pain to those who remain, am not sure... a poem for our times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can feel that search - i hope it is not in vain

    ReplyDelete
  8. In this era of technology, conversations are restricted despite the many gadgets we have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Been there, done that. At times it has been in vain, that search. But sometimes, it does pay off. Hope your search ain't in vain...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can feel the palpable longing in your verse.. sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rosemary, I think many of us relate to this at some point in time. This is a lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That elusive longing we all feel...you expressed it so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is extremely sad... mostly, because it holds so much truth. Your closing squeezed my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Endings are hard, brutally hard, for those who are left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very telling and eloquent. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look ahead (keeping your dear memories of old), look ahead to future friendships and renewed communications

    Happy Sunday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is a sad longing in that vain pursuit and I think we feel it more as we age...

    ReplyDelete
  18. True wisdom is paused in this era, may people look beyond words and find the right path.

    Cheers
    MeenalSonal from AuraOfThoughts

    ReplyDelete
  19. I, too, long for those well-loved voices and laughter now stilled. As the pages turn in our book of life, each has their chapter and their special place in our memory. Beautifully expressed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is hard when doors close, there is true grieving in the search of something.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Powerful writing ... the longing and loss: palpable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That final line is exquisite and true--but more importantly it clarifies the pattern of the poem like the final blocking of a fresh-knit shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Powerful. I feel this way too sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You speak of longing, and sometimes one isn't really sure, for what?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I Can feel the pain while reading it.well written

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.