I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

25 April 2016

Wolf-Dog

Mostly wolf
he was unlike other dogs,
the fully doggy. He was

wind-woven movement
hunter-quiet through trees, 
cat-contained self-sufficiency,

deep-loving, soul-faithful
but not puppy-exuberant,
not wriggly-jerky hysterical. Never.

His distance-speak
sustained me many months.
We had good mind-talk between us:

we two heart-kin, spirit-friends
who summoned each other
with immediate vision-share

instant thought-meld, the knowing
of the vast, timeless forever-abyss
from which we'd sparked into life-light.

He wasn't my dog; there was
one dearer, skin-close, the friend 
we shared and in our own ways guarded.

It's a long time ago now, 
far-dwindling yet never full-gone. 
Not wholly done, dead-over.

Though he is dead of course,
and our man-friend older,
well happy. He is horse-master now.

Me, I love cats. And we both have known 
some other dogs. We never speak 
of that one, heart-deep, unique.

The night-road, the moon-path
along which he reached me
with loving mind-touch

has taken him elsewhere,
gone in the other direction.
He did return just once

to tell me the way of it,
his death-fall. Though I had already
felt it, from too far away.














Photo Copyright © David Mikulenka 2007. Not to be reproduced in any way without written permission from the copyright owner.

Note: 'Mostly wolf' – he was 75% small timber wolf, 25% domestic dog.


This poem was written for the kenning prompt at 'imaginary garden with real toads'. Kenning is the creation of compound nouns. I have created a few compound adjectives here, too (which seems to be easier) and used some compound nouns which already existed.

15 comments:

  1. the knowing
    of the vast, timeless forever-abyss
    from which we'd sparked into life-light..

    Such an ethereal vibe.
    Beautifully executed.

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. we two heart-kin, spirit-friends
    who summoned each other
    with immediate vision-share

    What a gift...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love how you use the kenning to describe a dog with such passion though you are a cat person... It takes a special dog for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wolves are in some ways rather more like cats than dogs.

      Delete
  4. 'wind-woven movement' - a magical image. And so love the close of this poem tinged with wistful sadness. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too many beautiful epithets for dogs and cats to begin listing the best of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous animal!
    Love this, especially:
    "wind-woven movement" -- what an incredible image this is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This brought me to tears, of course, for wolf-dogs are exactly as you have written him, heart-deep, unique. I love the "moon-path", and that he returned to tell you "the way of it." Beautifully and soulful lyrics done, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course this made me think of Sherry, and brought me to the verge of tears. So beautiful.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mind-speak and the communication from afar is such a powerful piece in this poem. So much to love, Rosemary...thank you for sharing his spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a lump in my throat when I finished this. I love the words you chose to describe this special bond.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My beloved cat is dying and this made me almost cry. It brought up all "those feelings." Very powerful Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. And the words blend like diphthongs! Beautiful relationship and I feel it from quite a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so loving and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.