I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

12 March 2008

Among Trees

Birds are the first thing I hear
when I sit down beside the fig and the hoop pine. Lots of them,
chirruping conversationally
from tree to tree, sounding happy
in the late sun softened by a breeze.
Then I hear the sea,
continual, always our background.
The cyclist in the park glides silently
but the birds notice and comment: a sudden flurry of music.
When I listen deeper, I hear
the leaves moving very gently
fluttering like feathers. It seems the trees
are spreading wings and preening, it seems they smile.
I rest my chin in my hands. I am in no hurry to go anywhere.
The circling branches of the fig
make a frame for the park and the road beyond.
The sun starts to burn my back through my nylon blouse.
A helicopter growls and chugs in the clouds.

© Rosemary Nissen-Wade 2008
11/3/08

My friend Raeline, visiting in January from overseas, gave me a reading with her Spiritual Voyager cards. One thing I was told was to go out into nature, listen to nature, and then write my poems. It's productive!

A long time later, I'm linking this to The Tuesday Platform for May 17 2016 at 'imaginary garden with real toads'.

6 comments:

  1. The sound of aeroplanes on a clear day is something I associate strongly with summer and countryside. And here too is your helicopter (caught up, incidentally, in a very nice line).

    It is funny how we have come to associate the least natural of things with the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived really in the country, as distinct from the present coastal village, it was tractors on hot, lazy afternoons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving it, Rosemary, such a happy scene. Those joyful birds sing their hearts out, then getting serious when a possible interloper comes into their little world. Sounds and sights, you don't want to leave.
    Then, sneaking up to ruin it all, the hot sun scorching your back and then comes the finishing touch, "A helicopter growls and chugs in the clouds.."
    BTW, mine post for 'Tuesday' is also the sounding birds. But then comes a mixed scenerio that isn't exactly cheerful.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this... somehow I think i might go out with a notebook and just observe... there is such awareness in a poem like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely time this must have been, even with the chug-chugs. Amazing what you notice in your own silence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sea as your background, enviable.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.