I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

21 May 2006

This Morning

I wake hearing the ocean
thunder at my back door
like wind in the trees.
… I am not at home,
there is no ocean.
The trees outside are still
against the lightening sky.

The roar of the spirit wind   

is full of you; I breathe in deeply
the knowledge of you in my life.

The sound of wind or ocean

surges again. It might be a plane
or a truck. I think you must
be awake by now. I imagine you
waking, stirring and stretching
like a big cat. I imagine lying
next to you, stroking your body.

A cardinal flits through the branches

outside my window. I breathe
in Texas, a new day begins.

Note: Texas is very far away from my home in Australia

Linking (nearly 11 years later!) to The Tuesday Platform for 13 Feb 2018 
at "imaginary garden with real toads"

15 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Rosemary!💞 Especially love; "The roar of the spirit wind is full of you."💞

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I breathe in deeply
    the knowledge of you in my life." Yes, yes! May this refreshing breath always be accessible, along with the memory of cat-stroke touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are masterly with love poems Rosemary - the opening verse already sets the reader a conundrum - all is not as it seems now - but once was

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I breathe in Texas"--I love that. A goosebumpy poem! Have a happy, Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using Texas as metaphor for that separation is just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. … I am not at home,
    there is no ocean.
    The trees outside are still
    against the lightening sky.... oh, the bitterness of that added aside. Beautiful work Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness for dreams, imagination, and poetry... for they put the entire world in our words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, sad and oozing with the feeling of that lost love that will never leave your mind.




    ReplyDelete
  9. a plane or a truck.. that awareness even in that moment of imagination struck me...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your opening lines remind me of 'Island Man' by Grace Nichols and of the time I lived right next to the sea. And you have captured that disorientated feeling of waking up from a realistic dream in the lines:
    '… I am not at home,
    there is no ocean.
    The trees outside are still
    against the lightening sky'.

    I also like the way the cardinal interrupts the last remnants of the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fine wisp of ghostsong from the past. Presence and absence are the poet's ink, our breath. So nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, 'the roar of the spirit wind'. You do strike me as someone who would hear it clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A cardinal flits through the branches
    outside my window. I breathe
    in Texas, a new day begins.

    So much to be savored. Got to go to Texas. Thanks for the tip Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  14. Living in Texas I know how large that feeling of distance must feel.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.