I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

2 February 2017

One-line haiku/senryu Jan 2017

I've started exploring one-line haiku and senryu, under the influence of the wonderful HAIKU NOTEBOOK by W. F. Owen. Here is the whole month's output for January, as I started this exploration only late in the month.

















old fifth birthday photo fancy dress and all his hair

scared cat bites my thumb not too hard the hand that feeds

summer storm my cat hisses at the vet

hot afternoon unseen kookaburra's harsh laugh

summer night loud crickets neighbour's heavy metal

long hot night my cat comes to bed briefly

hot cocoa to help me sleep I sit up later drinking 

heatwave survival the right setting on the electric fan

heatwave chocolate biscuits hard from the fridge

6 comments:

  1. Conditioning is a strange and wondrous thing. I'm so used to writing and reading haiku in three lines, that my brain breaks your one liners into three in my head.

    They are yummy, I particularly love the first and the second. They read like full stories of a moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Magaly.

      W. F. Owen says that with one-liners it is up to the reader to work out breaks and syntax, so I think you are doing it right. :-)

      Delete
  2. It must be so delightful to hear a kookaburra's laugh. I loved these, Rosemary. We had one spring like day here but now snow is coming again, so I am enjoying your summer along with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of us are not enjoying it all that much! (I can escape the worst of it most of the time, but it has been intense.)

      Kookaburras don't always laugh harshly; often they sound genuinely amused, chortling away for all they're worth.

      Delete
  3. I liked the kookaburra's harsh laugh. Could feel the heat.
    I like these oneliners very much and how it all adds up to the scenery

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this collection of thoughts

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.