I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

7 July 2016

Return to the Winter Garden

My new cat has enticed me
to come and sit with her
right now, in our courtyard garden.

Bright orange, the trumpet creeper 
is climbing my neighbour's tree.
Not my job to tell him, and I'm sure
he can see, so I settle back to enjoy.

Once, a huge monitor lizard
climbed it too, and lay all afternoon
along a branch. Earlier today
I heard the fat dove coo,
that lives over there. Luckily

my cat, Selene, doesn't hunt – not
if it means scaling fences. She
is no longer young. Nor am I.

It's a lovely, sunny winter afternoon,
not so cold as yesterday. A plane
drones lazily over. It's nearly four years;
I hardly remember the pain of them –

those years of coming here to my garden
and your large absence meeting me. 
And in noticing how I don't remember,
I do remember – and I turn from that
into today, and peace, and my new cat.


















I'm linking this poem to Poets United's Poetry Pantry #311

21 comments:

  1. Lovely poem ... thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you mixed the past with the present in this poem, Rosemary. It is nice to be able to enjoy the new cat, yet reflecting on the absence of one held dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Rosemary, this is beautiful. Yes, that large an absence becomes a presence, it is so huge. I, too, love the hope and comfort and peace in your turning to today and your new cat. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetly done. I'm with Selene, no hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And in noticing how I don't remember, I do remember – wow.. this poem has so much peace in it...despite the absence...with the comfort of the cat and garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the mixture of the past with the present. Though we have new companions our heart always holds dear the old. Beautifully penned.

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is sweet, Rosemary. How perfectly you phrase about Selene's and your age (well, sort of). Made me smile :-) This is a relaxing garden scene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah, all the sweet sights and sounds and silent musings to be had in a garden..so relieving and peaceful....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it is amazing how despite the path and pains before we can have moments when we feel that where we are and who we are is just right - magical, true and real - it is even more wonderful to capture that and share it with us :) and Selene is a wise cat..no point scaling fences when we don't need to

    ReplyDelete
  10. And in noticing how I don't remember,
    I do remember – and I turn from that
    into today, and peace, and my new cat.

    Perfect conclusion to this introspective piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful relaxing narration that allowed the reader be part of the scene and to visualize every word you wrote. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you have captured all the moments that a garden can hold. It's so mu much past yet utterly present...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've enjoyed the view from your courtyard. Your cat has excellent ideas. We should all have a companion who nudges us towards the outside... to sit... to look... And your last stanza is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very reflective journey into the world as you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fine moment! I think I may have written on the same theme, but your poem is ever so much gentler. Thank you for the visit with yard, cat, tree and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This poem feels like a little gift of chocolate. So delicious. I like how you express the on-going resolution of your grief within the context of a beautiful day and a beautiful new cat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful poem. How old and new feelings merge together; I read this a couple of times as there's so much to see within its verses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the setting, imagery and the slice of life and memory.

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a carefree and relaxed mood. and peaceful too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet companionship for a lazy Sunday morning.

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.