I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

14 July 2016

Breakthrough!

My new cat, who has in her past 
been abused and abandoned,
has chosen to remain silent – 
until, tonight on my lap,
for the very first time she made 
faint but continual purring.
















(We were actually on the couch at the time, but I certainly wasn't going to disturb the moment by taking a photo, so this on the bed, is the most similar one I've got.)

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness ! I think you know that I've been telling Oliver, who selected us at 5 weeks old and was affectionate, cuddlesome and purring ...only to grow into a majestic gentleman who will allow himself to be cuddled and combed and petted only first thing in the morning and then will be interactive and great company but aside from a gratuitous rub as he requests food is not "into" being touched or sitting on anyone's lap - purring? No more - obviously he believes that's for kittens only. But back to Selene!!!!! Aside, from being an unflattering shade of green I am thrilled for you and she ❤️❤️❤️ I'M PURRING for you both!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a note from Oliver to Selene:

      Dear Selene - This is Oliver - it is my understanding that I have been publicly maligned as to my level of affection and compared unfavorably to you - well I will have you know that I shall not be bested by you - and so this morning, when my own witch accompanied my morning paw and leg massage with yet another rather off putting regaling of your latest achievement - I reached deep inside myself and emitted a few moments of a low pitched and quite masculine purr of my own. I do hope that you are not preparing to make tea for your witch - or come up with some other extravagance because this is about as far as I am willing to go. I will have you know that I do communicate quite effectively and do show my witch affection in my own unique way - along with sleeping in my own private room without bothering her sleep. I am happy that you have found your place but please do not disturb my peace with your outrageous and continuous gestures of blatant affection posted about for all to see - and be compared to. We cannot all be Selene's. Yours, in sacred familiarity Oliver.

      Delete
    2. Selene is pondering this deeply, as it deserves. Her witch, however, broke out into most inappropriate peals of laughter. (Selene wishes Oliver to know that there is absolutely no likelihood of her making tea. She is quite clear on whose job it is to do the care and feeding.)

      Delete
    3. And oh – what a breakthrough in your house, too! Nothing wrong with Oliver's telepathy either. A wonderful moment for you; I hope it's not an isolated one, like Selene's sole miaow.

      Delete
  2. Such a healing sound. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You waited a long time for that purr. Thanks for hanging in. She has learned life can be good and trusted to remain that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sign that it finds the house safe and secure and people around to be very friendly - a far cry from the previous ones!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh there is love that surely conquers fear...and your cat now knows that!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.