I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

12 July 2016

As If

It’s as if 
I could go back
to some other 
real, solid moment

and stay there
anchored in my life
as it was then 

(when I start
remembering)

as if I could
choose

some ordinary
everyday 
happiness

before 
you were sick,
and not have to 
leave that spot

or you.


This poem seems a perfect fit for Poets United's latest Midweek Motif: Absence


21 comments:

  1. Yes, I know this feeling, which comes so much more often as I age. Sigh. So poignant, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I feel this. Really moving, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! If Only! But I always wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is better if it can be as good as before. Adverse situations can help motivate for improvements. Quite common to be in this situation, though.

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Sherry. I so know this feeling... It's difficult not to look back and wish for the things we love, but that are no longer reachable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel this deeply, thank you...simple and clear, but aches with feeling,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think sometimes we don't always think about the absences....but when we do we seriously FEAR them as we think about our life as it was then & won't be ever again. A poignant write, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel this too... to turn back time to an exact moment...feeling the grief here Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poignant Rosemary. The things I wish I'd said but didn't have the words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are so many treasured moments that stick in our minds but the comfort is that they existed at all and we must hang on to them in our memories. Beautifully written Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can feel this so very deeply, Rosemary. There are so many precious moments and so many memories which we hold dear to our hearts. Beautifully executed.

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  12. If only it was as easy as "As if' - perhaps for some it may be a little easier..for the rest of us at least we can write and convince our heads we are just trying to figure it all out

    ReplyDelete
  13. so poignant, i can relate...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful...'As If' we could....I can also relate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We cannot turn the hands of time back, no matter how hard we want to :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. A big hug around your heart, Dear. This is love-ly, and honest, and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes! There are so many times when even an ordinary day would bring joy. As we get older the things that challenge us is something I could never comprehend when I was younger. ~sigh~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, yes.....those spots feel so much more solid than any spots that come after the moment of knowing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A moving piece of poetry, well articulated and nicely penned from the heart , Rosemary! Sometimes I wish, I could go back in time to the good old days...Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such depth of feeling in these few lines, Rosemary... Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.