I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

9 July 2016

My Secret Loves

What I love is to sing.
What I love is to dance.
These lifelong loves
remain my secret –

since early childhood
when joyously
I displayed them
expressed them,

let my full heart overflow
with the soaring, glorious tones,
the swaying, swirling moves.
Oh, how I set them free!

No-one else could hear or see –
not as I did, not as I felt.
‘You have no tune,
you have no beat.’

I hid my love,
I smothered my joy.
Now no-one hears 
or sees me.

Only, when I’m alone,
I turn the music loud:
I sing with all my lungs,
I dance with my whole body.

The rest of the time,
my throat and feet
are sensibly still and silent.
(Secretly, though, they’re dreaming.)


(Tone-deaf and no sense of rhythm! But poetry has taught me how to sing and dance on the page.) 

Written for Sanaa's Prompt Nights: Dancing is like dreaming with your feet, and (simultaneously) for Fireblossom Friday: Secret Love at 'imaginary garden with real toads'.

17 comments:

  1. Get up offa that thing! (as James Brown would say!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Rosemary and you certainly do know how to sing and dance on the page...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I bet that solitary singing and dancing influences the music in your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your singing history poem, Rosemary. I used to sing in a choir and in a men's chorus until a Methodist choir director said he'd rather not in his church choir.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we are in a very large club indeed best suited to solo performances. Now that you have come out I can as well! My music master at school placed me at the back of the class because I was tone deaf...or so he said!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I hid my love, / I smothered my joy." thank God they found outlet on the pages...so nicely penned...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh Rosemary :D this is such a tender and evocative write. I love the fact that you fused two prompts and that too so beautifully. Especially adore the reference to "let my full heart overflow with the soaring, glorious tones, the swaying, swirling moves. Oh, how I set them free!" Beautifully penned. Thank you so much for participating at Prompt Nights and for your constant love and support :D :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sing and dance loud and proud! Maybe one of the benefits of dancing in the sitting room is that we can truly let go for a little without judgement - salut to those secret, wonderful loves!

    ReplyDelete
  9. While technical skills are great, there's something to be said for the one who expresses wholehearted joy in their dancing, even if their skills aren't going to get them on So You Think You Can Dance or any of the other talent shows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the dancing more than the song... Maybe that's why poetry is so fun. Love a secret love like this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to see this speaker dance from afar... That kind of feeling towards song and dance has to offer a glorious view... How terrible to have snuffed... How wonderful that an aspect of it is shared through poetry. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you wrap this whole thing up...that dream of dancing and singing at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think we would all make a beautiful choir...or chorus line of imperfection :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, no, no! Let it out, girl!!! Don't hide that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your words sing loud and clear. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.