I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

16 January 2015

tenWords Extracted

Gave her heart
only for a few seconds.
More than enough.

******

Buying silk,
an artist expressed
a desire to know velvets.

******

In the garden
very quiet
dream-life taking hold —
remember?

******

Pure frosty mornings:
rare occasions
when there is no wind.


The tenWords form is an invention of Brian Miller's. At dVerse today we are asked to try some. I extracted the above from pages of the novel The Maker of Heavenly Trousers by Daniel Varé; so they are also, in a sense, found poems, and — because some of the words are far apart — they are similar to erasure poems too.

37 comments:

  1. These are all lovely, little bubbles of thought. My favourite is the silky one: In the 1930s, my mother had a black silk velvet evening dress, slinky to the thighs, then swirly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way you write about that dress could be a poem in itself!

      Delete
  2. The tenWords, eraser poems and found poems can all be made into limericks as well, then or sound like them. I like the first one best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting thought! But ten words surely wouldn't be enough for a limerick?

      Delete
  3. I loved the second one. :-)
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first one is by far my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this a lot.. the first one a clear favorite of mine.. each a little story though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the last one, just enjoyed yesterday...this 'rare occasion' ~ nice touch

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful! Love the one about the silk buyer desiring to know velvets

    ReplyDelete
  8. I specially love the first and second but all are lovely Rosemary ~ thanks for sharing ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. the artist buying silks made me smile...
    it led me back to a memory of when i did some silk
    art in a class...and the people that i shared the class with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely that our poems can evoke things for the readers that we can't even dream.

      Delete
  10. I like the idea of using the erasure 'method' for this form as a few poets have done. The last two poems are the one I like best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting technique you used, Rosemary, to do your 'TenWords.' My favorite is the third one...which really carries me away! Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gave her heart
    only for a few seconds.
    More than enough

    It is so easy when his wants are not demanding Takes little to keep him satisfied! These are rare finds! Great lines Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  13. the desire to know velvet... oh i like this one esp.. the yearning for texture...i so can feel this

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the air of mystery in No. 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way different people are responding to different pieces.

      Delete
  15. Nice job extracting from the text. I loved the artist one. As a would-be occasional artist this spoke to me of texture. Ha! I just saw what Claudia wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it amazing that you can wake up in a wintry morning without the feeling of being over burdened by chill. I really read some warming words in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are warmed - especially if you are in winter at present,

      Delete
  17. Love these poems, especially the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one does seem to be emerging as the favourite. :)

      Delete
  18. Lovely, one and all, but I especially like the second and third ones.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are terrific, Rosemary==interesting, thought-provoking, fun. K. (Manicddaily.wordpress)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.