I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world,
to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

This blog is not, 'Here are my very best poems'. It's for work in progress, subject to revision.
Posts may be updated without notice at any time. Completed work appears in my books.

1 November 2011

31st October

The little girls from across the road
came trick-or-treating tonight
in their witch and fairy costumes.

We’d forgotten Halloween, crude
corruption of Samhain — 
which anyway is a different season 
here, different time of year.

But we had some jellybeans,
emergency rations in case
his blood sugar drops. I poured a handful 
into their empty icecream bucket.

I wonder what they’d have said
if they’d known the smiling old couple,
their neigbours, were actual witches.


Submitted for Poets United's Poetry Pantry #73.

5 comments:

  1. we have a very black cat hanging about if you would like to borrow him ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to! But our resident black cat woud probably object, :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose it could have been a teaching moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were a bit young for that, I think, and mainly interested in the lollies. When at first I said, 'I haven't got a treat, you'll have to do a trick instead,' they looked blank, and then alarmed. Lucky I remembered the jelly beans. :)

    ReplyDelete