I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

7 February 2014

Young Love

He had red hair one year; another, black.
He had a beard; he had a smooth, clean chin.
A fair-skinned blonde; no, olive-skinned and dark.
Broad-shouldered, muscular — or tall and thin.

We snuggled when we hugged, being of a height.
I loved to stand on tiptoe when we kissed.
Brown eyes, you say? Ah, truly, black as night.
That bright blue gaze became most sorely missed.

The loves of youth — how varied, how intense!
I loved a pretty face, a handsome form.
It took a while to learn this common sense:
what makes you hot won’t always keep you warm.

But, growing up at last, I got it right
in finding one who shone with inner light.



Submitted for Poets United's Mid-Week Motif ~ Love
(Choose an age, we are asked. What was love like then? And perhaps try a sonnet.)

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this, Rosemary! So true that 'what makes you hot won't always keep you warm.' Smiles. The young love is good, but thank goodness common sense eventually prevails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The necessity to find a rhyme can be helpful in finding good lines! :)

      Delete
  2. Pure LOVE! I'd pick the same line Mary did. This is going in my file of poems I can't live without!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your poem, Rosemary. It made me smile. Sometimes common sense is a bit blurred when we are young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That last couplet is just perfect ~ Finding the one that glows with inner light, I love that ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. But, growing up at last, I got it right
    in finding one who shone with inner light.

    The classic end all. One always reflect on some of the trying times but eventually there is that someone who meets the yearnings! Many can relate to this. Wonderful write Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hank, I always appreciate your comments

      Delete
  6. The light from within is the true beauty. The way you express it here is lovely You don't really see it coming and it has just the right punch at the end

    ReplyDelete
  7. What makes you hot wont always keep you warm. Brilliant line.

    Maturity makes one settle for warm. I look forward to reaching ( I am told) that important developmental stage before I shuffle off this mortal coil:) Love this poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's not just a settling for. It is more that some fires burn out quickly and others last and continue to be enjoyed in many ways. It is always possible to stoke it up, you know! :)

      Delete
  8. Fantastic poem Rosemary. I love the truth in the line "what makes you hot won’t always keep you warm."
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.