I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

28 April 2010

The Boy Across the Road

The boy across the road
is singing all by himself
as if he thinks no-one can hear,
or doesn’t care.

His voice is very sweet.
The whole street listens,
quiet inside our houses
not to interrupt.

He is tidying up the yard
where his little sisters play,
looking out over the valley
to the Border Ranges.

Yesterday he brought me
one small sister, who wanted
to sell me chocolate: two dollars
or three for five.

She is saving to buy
a Play Station. He bent
with his arm around her,
smiling up at me.

Muggings in Knox Park,
addicts round Sunnyside,
but a boy like Nathan
creates hope.


April PAD Challenge 27
Prompt: a hopeful poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.