I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

23 October 2017

Petals and Thorns

They burn, oh!
my petals burn

light has elapsed 

only these briars
glow eerily now

the setting sun
reddens the thorns,
their pointed tips

in the garden –
a garden enclosed
in dying light –

my petals flame.


Written for Micro Poetry ~ Binding with Briars at 'imaginary garden with real toads', and for facebook's The Poetry of Three. (Inspired – loosely – by Blake's 'The Garden of Love'.)


Published in HAVE YOUR CHILL, July 2018.

9 comments:

  1. My goodness this is good!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. colours of blood throbbing here Rosemary - poetry in pain(t)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the words behind those burning petals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burning petals... We burn in passion for that which blesses and curses us

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your poem last night but a troublesome tablet would not let me post my comment!
    I love your poem - the palpable melancholy which takes into account both the petals and the thorns is highly emotive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beauty is often not without pain of some sort...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The passion is bright, hot, wild... it grabs the heart's eyes by the shoulders, shakes it hard, and screams, "Look! Are you blind? Unfeeling!" So much passion, almost desperation...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.