I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

19 October 2017

Full Moon, Dark Moon

The Full Moon
huge and golden
seemed to bounce
to our rhythm
as we rode
that tiny motorbike, 
hired from strangers,
fast and eager
alongside the paddies –
to make love
our first time,
in dreamy Bali.

Many months later,
back in Melbourne,
I heard you
that last time –
riding away forever,
further and further,
your own bike
large and purring
across the night,
while I lay 
awake, listening long,
at Dark Moon.


Written for Poets United's Midweek Motif ~ Dark Moon, New Moon

Also written for the facebook group THE POETRY OF THREE, Three Words Per Line

17 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by the three word per line form. And adore the love story...imagine making love for the first time in Bali....whoo! and then the sound of the motorcycle fading away.....sigh. Been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eventually realised they're supposed to be end-stopped lines, which makes it a bit harder.

      Delete
  2. 2 sides of moon, 2 sides of love. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two wonderful contrasting stanzas. Profound and poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosemary, this is a lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving A shame that a full moon changes into a dark moon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very unique 3-lined offering Rosemary! Yes, it's not easy!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  7. The beauty and dark side of love well captured!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a gorgeous, gorgeous form, Rosemary!❤️ I love how the emotion flows down like rivulets especially; "while I lay awake, listening long, at Dark Moon." Beautifully executed!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your story is so beautifully told. I enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the formatting of this, Rosemary. My heart caught at
    "riding away forever,
    further and further,
    your own bike
    large and purring
    across the night,"

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful poem, a wonderful reminiscence. It fits the theme so very well, and my heart goes thump, thump a bit as I read!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this was so romantic, I'm smiling at the tenderness. Underneath the dark moon love was made, yup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the contrast of the bouncy full moon and the dark one. Sometimes the full moon reminds me of the bouncing ball used to read the poetry of night sky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked the way you have juxtaposed these two sides of the same coin, Rosemary. A poignant and very nostalgic poem working well with the image of the full and new moon...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.