I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

30 January 2016

Rescue Cat
























A keyhole view of you
might highlight your eyes
gazing back with a yellow glare,
or sometimes pleading –
but mostly 
assessing.

You are in a new place.
You know how this goes.
You've played Pass the Parcel before.
Handed over again,
now you are simply 
learning the new details.

Kindness is usual
at first, or for a while,
but not necessarily 
always a haven to trust.
You'll take your time.
You'll take a lot of time.

A keyhole view might show
a curling paw 
that flexes needle claws,
a full yawn
revealing dagger teeth.
You sleep with both ears cocked.


In
 Bits of Inspiration at 'imaginary garden with real toads', we are asked to write a poem that's a glimpse through a keyhole.

This is my first poem for my new cat, Selene. Not the sort of cat poem I'd ever expected to write – but she is teaching me.

The photo is mine and should not be reproduced without permission. © Rosemary Nissen-Wade 2016.

13 comments:

  1. Oooo. A cat on guard! I like the keyhole view. You'll know when to go in for a closer look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it, Rosemary. Your message, intended or not, is that once bitten by an unfaithful lover beware the next time, mark your tracks in case you must withdraw, a retreat of what was before.
    Whatever, it does take longer to fully trust the second or higher time around. Perhaps never, it took me a long, long time. But will have been married 43 years this February.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you are right. I should be grateful that this little cat is prepared to accept me to any degree, rather than feeling disappointed that her trust must be earned slowly. At the moment she is sitting on my lap at her own instigation, and I'm very honoured.

      Delete
  3. Very clear descriptive word picture

    ReplyDelete
  4. You van never spy on a suspicios cat, no keyhole secretive enough. I hope trust will come...

    ReplyDelete
  5. God bless you for rescuing your cat! The process is long but the rewards for both are amazing. That's one lucky cat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super charming poem, Rosemary--hope that the cat feels more comfortable soon. Thanks. k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It gives me such a warm feeling to think of an abandoned animal being welcomed to a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "You sleep with both ears cocked"... but one day, with enough love and patience, you will catch her relaxed and sleeping. Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this. I have such a tender spot for cats. I have two of them. One was adopted and one was abandoned and I took him in. Your view the keyhole is perfect. Thank you so much for taking part in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your challenge was a gift to me, Susie, enabling me to enter into her feelings somewhat.

      Delete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.