I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

15 January 2016

"Where Do You Go To, My Lovely?"


He cries as he asks it, 
silently, alone in his dark.
It's not only her head he knows.
His own has the same answers.

He doesn't often pause to reflect.
It's only when he sees her
in the glossies or on TV –
as beautiful as ever.

Then he remembers 
and lets himself remember – briefly –
the dirty streets and the kids 
who were them, once upon a time.

She's doing a lot of things
differently now, he can tell.
She's lost that glassy stare.
Her movements aren't marionette.

And after all, he's glad for her,
who escaped. And forgot him.
Even as he, weeping,
remembers himself and her.


Some poets I read have recently been writing persona poems, i.e. writing as someone else, whether real or fictional. This isn't quite that, being in third person, but was inspired by the idea – imagining the (probably) fictional narrator of the song of the same title. (Link added somewhat belatedly after I realised that people might not know the song.)


Linking to Poets United's Poetry Pantry #286


28 comments:

  1. Oh this is so poignant. She, who has moved on and done well, him left behind on the mean streets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To each his own. Fortunes made by those who aspire and misfortunes led those without directions. Truly said Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  3. such things happen everywhere...so sad..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sad reflection. It seems she has been able to 'rise above,' but he has not.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. And he notices and even applauds. So fine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the chasms that can grow from success... But somehow I feel that neither are very happy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. well written ! this is a common sight !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the plight of the one still yearning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. With or without her success, I too look back to those long lost years and wonder about those early friendships I had. I wish them well but still yearn for a part of them still. What a wonderfully moving poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of those poems that feels so complete and 'right' - a story beautifully told and so many aching images to relate to..i wonder..did she forget..can we really ever forget even if we are clearer and in a better place..part of me hopes she remembers too..

    ReplyDelete
  11. this was so touching. one could see this happening all too often

    lovely. gracias

    ReplyDelete
  12. So poised and poignant called to mind a post shared of a legendarily photographed young couple from Woodstock ..."if" they had parted (though story relayed that they are still together after all these years) ...but I digress ...this piem and tone and images - lovely and heartwarming in love and heart wrenching in loss - thank you for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  13. so much story - both before and after the glassy stare. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Rosemary this is beautiful....such a love still held for someone now gone from the narrator's life. I think we all miss some of those special friendships from long ago...I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is an excellent take on the song.

    i guess no one forgets his roots, but it looks the lady in the poem does. :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. To be caught in that passing moment reflecting on what was and how so differently lives take different paths. Very good write.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the title and the voice that this is written from :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am also on the look out for nicely structured poems. Those first two lines are beautifully crafted. A piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do like your take on the persona poem. He cries as he asks it,
    silently, alone in his dark...perfection and leads us through this poem gently.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ahhh...this bittersweet poem made me feel sad. Reminds me of my grandparents' deaths throughout my life. May they rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is sad - life is about choices and it seems she has found a way out of the street and he was left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A wonderful poetic story. Too often, too real,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love where you went with this and especially that he (the one left behind) can be glad for her (the one who escaped). I dunno ... but this guy sounds like a "keeper" to me. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I like the forgiveness and appreciation of her from him, evocative poem.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm intrigued about who he knows that is so famous.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Losing a glassy stare is always a good sign, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.