I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

15 January 2016

Exploring New Landscapes

We move away from the city, north to clear skies, to low horizons ringed by mountains – not high-rise columnar blocks of rectangular windows, their blank panes angled for concealment. The trees are silvery green alongside the railway track. We pass a river harbour teeming with small white boats.

I am reminded of another journey once taken – of moving through greyness, through cold, toward one flush of colour, pink with highlights of gold. A flower in the snow, blooming early. Too early. Yet we were drawn towards it, wishing it to keep on blooming until we might reach it, stroke its petals, inhale.... Some journeys, though full of longing, can never be completed.

he travels alone
an old man gazing at trees –
the train gathers speed




Image copyright © Kanzensakura 2014 

Used with permission. All rights reserved.

Written for Haibun Monday 5 at dVerse
Also linking to Poets United's Poetry Pantry #289


27 comments:

  1. Lump in throat now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Train song..
    evidence
    nows
    gONe by..
    SonG
    proof
    Train now..

    Hear Now
    Train
    Track SinGs..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very moving reflection as you ride the train ~ Some journeys are grey but we try don't we to hope for all that is within us, full of longing ~

    Thanks for joining us for Haibun Monday and wishing you a wonderful week/end ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a sadness felt in this but acceptance too. A beautiful haibun, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the concluding haiku of your haibun very moving, Rosemary. It does seem that at some point the 'train journey' picks up speed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We found them and admired them from a distance. But they might not be easily won over - The train journey of many a disappointed male suitor!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you layered your prose, and the sadness of never reaching that goal, that important one. Love the haiku too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Some journeys, though full of longing, can never be completed." what a beautiful line with its essence ringing in the haiku...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am struck by "some journeys, though full of longing, can never be completed". I hope I am not making such a journey now back to my beach, Rosemary. I want more sunsets! Like Mary, I found the concluding haiku very moving. I can see him, looking out the window - at the past. Sigh. This is a wonderful haibun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Partly inspired by a silver-haired gentlemen I sat next to on the train coming home from my recent holiday. He was from England, so was keen to make the most of the views through the window. He told me how he had previously holidayed all over the world with his late wife.

      Delete
  10. A lovely haiku there Rosemary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Observing the country from a train I often feel like stopping off in nowhere and experiencing the wild, the beautiful, the untamed. When working in country Australia 40 years ago I often used to take the road less travelled and was never disappointed. This haibun brought it all back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect haibun. Your descriptions take us by the hand, gently... but promising that the journey will be bittersweet--beautiful, difficult, and impossible to dismiss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too am stuck on that ending line, 'Some journeys, though full of longing, can never be completed.' And oh the ending haiku....such a beautiful reflective piece!

    ReplyDelete
  14. there is so much colour in the haibun. and gentleness in the words. this is not just any journey. this is a journey of self-discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very lovely, thanks for taking me on this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel the sadness in the journey the longing for fulfillment and the realization that the goal is always forward never truly in grasp.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, this is so evocative. Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Magnificent haibun! The loneliness of trains and an older man just make it so rich!

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely fluid descriptions topped off with a sweetly succinct haiku

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the longing in your haibun, and the metaphor of train for life - in haiku. Some magic here....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely haibun. It is packed with visuals, and meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rosemary,

    Indeed there are elements of this life, where some circumstances, leave us alone to experience a particular situation..Not often, but at those times, I feel very much alone..I prefer having my companion..
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh my, this is simply gorgeous and moving.

    very emotional, also a bit nostalgic to think that some journeys can never be completed.

    this is a poem that calls toward the reader for reflection. and i love it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.