I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

8 August 2014

From One Side

Falling rain.
The first quarrel
between old friends.

Are these tears?
Don’t be silly!
(It’s true my face is wet.)

Stalemate.
The words lie
where they were left.

Someone
must make the first move.
All right, I will. Help!


At dVerse "Meeting the Bar" it's a small, small world. They're calling for poems of 40 words or fewer. This one's the full 40, excluding title. I like to think each verse could also stand alone, and that the first two verses could, together,  form one poem — as could the last two, and even other combinations of two at a time.


24 comments:

  1. its a choice...we have to decide that the relationship is more important than the conflict...and lay the pride down by those words...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can take some courage to put aside your ego and ask for help...not always easy...so rewarding when you can. Very nice, Rosemary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Particularly when I am asking for that help from the person I offended!

      Delete
    2. That is the best strategy! Nicely built, independently and together.

      Delete
  3. I hope it all works out, Rosemary. It is good that one person is willing to do something to break the stalemate. Asking for help might be the best first step.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire how each can stand on its own, yet also blend in as part of a longer story ~ So well done Rosemary ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that they can be interchangeable - creating any number of wonderful poems - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh i love people who are humble enough to make the first move after a fight...i had to just before after a fight with my daughter... forgiving is so important

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The relationship is more important than the disagreement! :)

      Delete
  8. this poem reminded me how important it is to not let small things overshadow many good things

    ReplyDelete
  9. Admitting -- and asking for help.. sometimes it's the only way.. I think it's usually small things that grow bigger and bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have found that some will always make the first move, and I am one of them and some cannot. No doubt it is just our nature and I am not inferring one is better than the other although I do believe that there is nothing which cannot be talked through. But that is just me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Claudia that it takes humility to make the first move, as well as courage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some people feed on perceived injustices--I hope the offended in this case is not one of those. Well expressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, seems happy to go on as if nothing ever happened.

      Delete
  13. after a while it isn't that difficult to make the first move...time always heals..

    ReplyDelete
  14. To make the first move is to give rain in a terrible drought. That is what I think. The offspring of the heaven are two ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a tricky and difficult place. Have been there. Making the first move shows a big heart, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A falling out contrary to expectations can even be amusing and fun! Nicely Rosemary!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it wasn't that — but resolved now and we move on.

      Delete
  17. All is now well again - and I'll be more careful in future.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.