I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

14 September 2017

Ghazal for —

Where shining joy was the most blended with piercing pain;
of many loves – all true, all lost – you are that one.

We meet in dreams, and in my memories, again
and yet again. It seems, briefly, death has not won.

‘Shall we meet once more in another life?’ I asked.
‘Nothing surer!’ declared my friend the magician.

With that I must be content as the slow years pass.
I was angry a long time that I must go on.

How full and rich life became for me after all.
Yet, still haunted, I never say your name, dear  —.

You owe me something. I will hold you to it, soul-
bound of old. I am your love. I claim reunion.


Written for Poets United's Midweek Motif ~ Reunions

29 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, Rosemary. It is hard to go on alone, but you managed it superbly. I love "i claim reunion."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose everyone will think I mean Andrew. (But I say his name all the time!) This was a much earlier love. I seem to be doing a clearing of old emotional stuff via poetry, just now.

      Delete
  2. Whew. This one's a difficult form, that you make it look effortless. This 'piercing pain' is keenly felt, in every line here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sumana. Far from effortless, but I'm very glad it looks that way.

      Delete
  3. A ghazal in English..wow! I'm floored. And you have done complete justice to each couplet too! Wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poetry is the perfect tool for clearing those memory spaces. Well done Rosemary

    Much 😍 love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed; such a blessing to have the gift of poetry.

      Delete
  5. A poem of power! There is no resignation to loss with a love so true. Each line is engaging and magical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I delight in poetry that makes me squeal at the end, and this one brewed a squealed that came right from heart and gut. That last stanza is pure magic, Rosemary. Pure magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I delight in responses like this! That's wonderful to know, Magaly. And the last stanza certainly had the intentionality of a spell!

      Delete
  7. gripping thoughts expressed so effectively in a difficult form of poetry...great ghazal..was trying to translate it in urdu and found great emotions..true reunion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's exciting to know! Thank you. I have some Indian ancestry through my mother who, as a child there, had to learn Urdu as well as Hindi – but unfortunately, growing up in Australia, I had no call, nor opportunity to learn either. (I also missed out on luxurious black hair and brown eyes, much to my disappointment.)

      Delete
  8. This is beautiful Rosemary. I love the confidence of reunion and the courage you display in going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Myrna. It feels good to have written it out.

      Delete
  9. Oh, this is just so beautiful, Rosemary!As humans we intrinsically yearn for that rare twin flame relationship with another who understands and somehow completes us on the deepest spiritual level!!Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So full of hope. I believe I will be too I will be with her again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to think that we will be reunited with all of our loves in the afterlife!! I found this poem intriguing and hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Apart from my blood family ( and not all of them) I have no desire to be reunited with anyone apart from my deceased pets:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is so bitter sweet. Do you mind if I message you sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  14. How expertly you have written this ghazal! So much emotion came to the surface for me. I love the ending on this. A hopeful note.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "...You owe me something. I will hold you to it, soul-
    bound of old. I am your love. I claim reunion.

    A beautiful ending for this ghazal!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! "soul-bound of old" such a lovely descriptive phrase. Your words spoke to my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.