I ... entered the poem of life, whose purpose is ... simply to witness the beauties of the world, to discover the many forms that love can take. (Barabara Blackman in 'Glass After Glass')

These poems are works in progress and may be updated without notice. Nevertheless copyright applies to all writings here and all photos (which are either my own or used with permission). Thank you for your comments. I read and appreciate them all, and reply here to specific points that seem to need it — or as I have the leisure. Otherwise I reciprocate by reading and commenting on your blog posts as much as possible.

20 August 2017

Sonnet Written Upon a Tim Tam

As requested by my friend Jim 

Yesterday I posted on facebook my pleasure
at eating Tim Tams and reading sonnets 
simultaneously, whilst also sitting in the sun
with my sweet cat. This post got a lot of likes. 

Then one friend asked, intending jocularity, 
'When will you publish "Sonnet Written 
Upon a Tim Tam"?' Why not? I thought, 
and replied, 'Tomorrow' – which is now today.

The taste is something between chocolate
and honey, a blend, and the texture also mixed:
creamy soft outside, the centre crisp yet melting. 

It takes six bites – or sometimes only four –
to savour and devour one whole, from the first
burst of joy in the mouth to the last lingering lick.













Linked to Meeting the Bar: Neruda and the free verse sonnet 
at dVerse Poets Pub.

Also linking to dVerse's 2019 Sonnet Challenge.


I felt proud of myself in writing this one, both for rising to my friend's challenge and because I had some glee in using the sonnet form for such non-exalted subject matter. (I used to be intimidated by the idea of attempting a sonnet, but Samuel Peralta cured me of that when he was on the dVerse team of presenters. He taught us a variety of sonnet forms and made them all seem delightfully easy.)

20 comments:

  1. Oh they look wonderful and we dont have them in my part of the world, to our loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The banal made beautiful although as a non-lover of sweet things I know that what I call banal is to others sublime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a 'sweet tooth' like me, Tim Tams are indeed sublime. (Grin.)

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Rosemary. You seem able to take on any challenge. If only Woolworths would bring back the three bean Tim Tam: that one deserved an epic that I'm not quite up to writing. Your sonnet suits all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I am unaware of the three bean Tim Tam! Wonder how I missed it (and what exactly it was).

      Delete
    2. Right, I have now Googled and found out. Damn! I would have loved that.

      Delete
  4. I love the local candy - I think sometimes the candy we grow up with is the best there is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds a tiny bit like our Kit Kat. I, too, have a big ol' sweet tooth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes. We have Kit Kats too. Yes they are a TINY bit like – and bigger and better. (Smile.)

      Delete
  6. Oh now they look yummy...as yummy as this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this an ad? Of course not. Too well written. (hee-hee)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, poignant stuff, but no sugar for me. Inspiring, yes, we need to write about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy yummy sonnet ~ What fun to write about this...now I feel hungry, ha ~

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much fun in this sonnet. I can almost taste it (though having never had one, not quite).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute, very cute. And you are right, for a book on "Forms" we don't want this to qualify as a sonnet. But for a book on cute poems, this definitely qualifies. See my post here: https://triangulations.wordpress.com/2019/01/23/sonnet-variants/
    I think disciplining to write forms is the whole point of using forms. Free writing is free writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not entirely free, as it has the requisite 14 lines and volta. You yourself said in a comment on Bjorn's dVerse post for this challenge that two of the traditional features of a sonnet would make a poem acceptable as one.

      Delete
  12. I've never had one, but they look tasty. I like how the poem references itself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To me it qualified as a sonnet... (and I think it also kept the meter very close to iambic pentameter)...

    I think the conclusion after the volta shone light about the sonnet in a great way, and it also shows to me that anything can spark the poetry... (my first ever sonnet was written as an ode to an outhouse)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is a great example of how to use the sonnet form for lighter topics or humor. It’s different, and that’s what I like about it. It is a versatile form.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and will be visible after being approved by the blog owner. If you can only comment anonymously, please include your name in the comment, just so I know who's talking to me.